Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetalkr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start my fellowship in July but am already getting job offers.

Any advice WHEN to start securing a job?

I honestly want to work my tail off and make good compensation anywhere, or work hard in academics, publish and move up the ladder.

for academics, should I just contact programs on the phone?
for private practice, how do I find out where there are performance-based salaries?

Thanks ya'll

Members don't see this ad.

1) great that you are getting job offers this far ahead of the game

2) the sooner you can secure a job where you want to live the better

3) most people interview in Sept-Oct and end up signing in Feb-March... to give you a sense of where you are at.

Yo sweetalkr..congrats!

I've sort of had some good fortune as well. My only concern is will these employers 'back out' via some loophole. It seems like people are in a 'panic mode' because of the new ObamaCare stuff.

Are you doing anything to sort of protect you or guarantee your job. Essentially you dont want to sign on. Then two months or 1 month before the end of you fellowship find out that the job no longer exists (by this time you've turned the other offers away).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, but I am a bit hesitant to sign on with a job right now because I am not sure what to look for in a practice. Before I started my anesthesiology residency, I would not have known what to look for. So I want to wait until I have done a month of fellowship before I lock down a job.

I hope I don't lose a good opportunity.

Yo sweetalkr..congrats!

I've sort of had some good fortune as well. My only concern is will these employers 'back out' via some loophole. It seems like people are in a 'panic mode' because of the new ObamaCare stuff.

Are you doing anything to sort of protect you or guarantee your job. Essentially you dont want to sign on. Then two months or 1 month before the end of you fellowship find out that the job no longer exists (by this time you've turned the other offers away).

You could protect yourself to some degree by getting a good s.o. bonus and having the contract state that if they terminate you keep it

Just FYI, those in private practice make substantially more than those in academia. You can always be "clinical assistant professor of...." or adjunct assistant professor and have the best of both worlds. Generally, those in private practice do not have the time or want to devote the effort to academics, with a few notable exceptions.

Algos,

Tell me where and i'll sign up!
is that something I ask about when interviewing, or something I pursue on my own after I have joined a practice?

It would be fair to the group to tell them you have an interest in doing teaching occasionally at a local medical school and will do so in a way that will not interfere with scheduled clinical practice time with the group. You can then arrange such a clinical position on your own by contacting the chairman of the anesthesiology department and/or clinical director of the pain fellowship program (if there is one)

Congrats!
Secure the job that you really WANT ASAP.
The most difficult part is to know what you want....

no congrats in order yet. Torn between compensation and location....

Congrats!
Secure the job that you really WANT ASAP.
The most difficult part is to know what you want....

Torn between compensation and location....

It haunts us all. Just like money vs. time.

Good luck.

I'd like to share with you a lesson I learned early in my post-training career...

Having a HUGE checking account doesn't mean anything, when you and your spouse are miserable... Doesn't matter if you get nice toys, a big house and swank luxury vacations --- you still have to come back and live in a craphole of a town/city...

first order of business is finding a place that your spouse will be happy in.

I am going to start my fellowship in July but am already getting job offers.

Any advice WHEN to start securing a job?

l

Thinking back at the start of my fellowship, I would not be comfortable accepting a job offer. I learned a lot about the business side of pain practice during the year that has helped me negotiate now. I would probably regret some things if I signed without knowing what questions to ask. :D

Also if a spouse is involved, their input is very important. :thumbup:

Thinking back at the start of my fellowship, I would not be comfortable accepting a job offer. I learned a lot about the business side of pain practice during the year that has helped me negotiate now. I would probably regret some things if I signed without knowing what questions to ask. :D

Also if a spouse is involved, their input is very important. :thumbup:

As a CA3 with a pain fellowship next year, I happen to have a job interview with a pain practice next month. Any advice on what questions I should be asking? Anything in particular that I should avoid aside from pill mills and unethical block monkey practices? Thanks.

As a CA3 with a pain fellowship next year, I happen to have a job interview with a pain practice next month. Any advice on what questions I should be asking? Anything in particular that I should avoid aside from pill mills and unethical block monkey practices? Thanks.

Look at the schedules of the current pain docs to determine how busy they are, what kind of cases they are seeing, and how much tmie they spend doing clinic vs in fluoro.

Ask how they marketed previous new docs, if applicable, and/or how they would market you to get new patients for you.

Find out what they do for fun.

Find out what their growth plans are.

Look at the schedules of the current pain docs to determine how busy they are, what kind of cases they are seeing, and how much tmie they spend doing clinic vs in fluoro.

Ask how they marketed previous new docs, if applicable, and/or how they would market you to get new patients for you.

Find out what they do for fun.

Find out what their growth plans are.

Is it possible to negotiate salary? Are bonuses common in pain jobs? In general, if you know you want a particular job, would it be best to let them know that or play hard to get?

Is it possible to negotiate salary??

Always. Any that are "Take it or leave it" should not be pursued unless it is your dream job.

Are bonuses common in pain jobs? ??

Yes, usually a % of collections over a certain amount, often a % over expense. You might get 50% of all collections over expenses (always minus Overhead), or maybe 25% of anything over 50% over collections.

In general, if you know you want a particular job, would it be best to let them know that or play hard to get?

It's not like applying for college, med school or residency. There are no longer "Rules" you must foillow. There are social conventions. E.G. Don't discuss salary at your first meeting. Don't ask about perks ("So I hear a few of you guys own a condo in Orlando, do I get to use it?").

If you are very interested, say so. Only play "Hard to get" if you are everything they ever wanted. You are not a teenage girl hoping for a date with the quarterback. Approach negatiations with seriousness and respect. This is professional, and somewhat personal. (The smaller the practice you would be joining, the more personal it is.)

If you want more than they offer, be prepared to say why you are worth it. Be prepared to compromise or walk away.

Above all, you want to be treated as an equal, often for the first time since you began training.

Thanks for your replies PMR. They don't teach us a whole lot about the business aspect of the field in residency or fellowship.

One more question. I realize that there are no rules, but how many visits/interviews are typical before a contract offer is involved? Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies PMR. They don't teach us a whole lot about the business aspect of the field in residency or fellowship.

One more question. I realize that there are no rules, but how many visits/interviews are typical before a contract offer is involved? Thanks again.

Most of my interviews have been first via internet/mail followed by a phone call if they are interested. If things sound good, they will then offer an on-site visit/interview. The entire things should be on their dime. They may offer a contract at the time of the interview, or the partners may need to discuss things first.