John Petrucci...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

...is the guitar player for a Prog Rock band called Dream Theater. Not only is this guy one of the greatest guitar player to ever live, he is a super nice, super smart guy.

He is interviewed in this month's Guitar Player magazine (February 2012) and all of you should go out and read it whether you are into music or not. What he talks about is his dedication to his art, how he keeps motivated and what you should know about the business side of the music industry.

What the heck does any of that have to do with me, you ask? Well, most of what he talks about applies to YOU. It is things that Podfather, PADPM and I discuss about business, the practice of medicine and how the public, your patients and the administrators, nurses and staff at the hospital you will be at perceive you. It's really quite remarkable how much of what he says translates to us and that he isn't even in the same industry as we are.

Members don't see this ad.

Truly a model of dedication to a craft.

He's been a hero of mine since I was 15.

Yep, since about 15. Not nearly as much in the past few months; apparently playing guitar day in/day out and passing classes are mutually exclusive goals.

I've got Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD, another good bit of insight into how he does what he does.

I'll have to find that article.