Johns Hopkins surgeon shot on way to work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A Johns Hopkins doctor was hospitalized Friday morning after he was shot in an attempted carjacking in Northeast Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Medicine said.

The shooting happened about 7 a.m. near the intersection of Loch Raven Boulevard and East 36th Street, according to Baltimore Police. Officers called to the scene found a 38-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound in the 1200 block of East 33rd Street, police said.

Hopkins Medical said in an internal email that Dr. Madhu Subramanian, a trauma and acute care surgeon, was on his way to work at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center when the incident happened near the 3600 block of Loch Raven Boulevard.

Members don't see this ad.

Remind me not to ever work in Baltimore (though CT there would be legit)...

Reactions: 1 users
Yikes. Baltimore certainly has its charms and there are days I miss it, but I definitely worried about my safety in the early mornings and weekends when there weren't a lot of other folks around. Almost everyone I knew there had a crime story. One of my friends was even held up at gun point on her front stoop in Federal Hill.

Interestingly, this happened in the north eastern part of the city closer to the main JHU campus, which I felt was a bit safer. But crime is up everywhere and Baltimore is no exception. Glad he's ok.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Geez. I thought the same thing about the location @the negative 1, I was expecting further south. A family member did their residency at JH and lived in Canton just south of Patterson Park. Visited a few times and thought it was pretty sketchy every time. Thankfully they finished years ago and moved out of state.

Out of all doctors that this could of happened to, the irony of a trauma surgeon being shot in a carjacking is just too unreal.

Wonder if stories like this hurts their recruitment efforts and competitiveness.

It definitely does, I've met people who were turned away due to the city.

Wonder if stories like this hurts their recruitment efforts and competitiveness.

Probably not. Plenty of overachieving bleeding hearts who wanna help people while under fire or at least walking into a hail of bullets each day before work. Nothing like the adrenaline rush of a NDE to keep you on your toes in the morning. Probably view that as a point of pride to put on some future personal statement they'll have to write.