Joining the APTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferros37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I recently was admitted into PT school and I will be starting this upcoming May. I was curious if anyone would recommend joining the APTA prior to beginning my program. I know there are a lot of benefits to becoming a member such as scholarship opportunities, research articles, and up to date news about the field in general. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely do it. It's really cheap as a student and if nothing else the access to journals via the APTA open door is well worth the dues. Especially when you are in your research class(es).

On top of that if you want to attend conferences the savings in registration is significant.

As far as registering before starting classes, it may be good to register at least a couple weeks out so that you have access when you matriculate.

Definitely register for it! My DPT program actually requires us to do so when we start in June! It's a great way to stay connected to the whole profession, get access to research, and get discounts on conferences. Good luck starting your program in May

Members don't see this ad :)
Our program likewise had APTA membership as a requirement but beyond that, as others have said, access to documents and journals for classes is necessary. Also, the conferences are very worthwhile if you have the time and opportunity to attend. It is pretty cheap - $80 per year.

Check with your program. They may pay for your membership while you're a student.

My school requires you become a member before matriculation. Even without the requirement, I would have joined. I have access to the APTA Guide to Physical Therapy, access to journals, and I got a discount on goni's and other supplies. It's worth the $80 or so for the student membership.

kevin