Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Joining the Foundation Program...

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by mockturtle, Feb 20, 2007.

1. mockturtle

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to get into the UK system at the mo. I am a UK national meself but qualified from a medical school outside the EU. I know it is definitely tougher now than it used to be (my fault for not getting my act together sooner!) but well, the plus points are that I can never get kicked out of the country so, well, can keep on trying! But would appreciate all the help and advice I can get. Cheers me dears!

2. Kev (UK)

Kev (UK) British Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My understanding is that there are places available this year for overseas medical graduates on the Foundation Course (2007-09). However, you are not considered for a place until all UK/ EEA residents are placed first, so you get what is left.

However, if you are a UK citizen you may qualify as a UK/ EEA applicant if you have been resident here for 3+ years. It is based on your residency, not country of qualification I believe.

So no, I would not say it was that difficult for you but you may not have a wide choice in where you actually are sent to do the Foundation Training.

Applications for 2007 are closed so you will have to apply for 2008 entry later this year if you havn't already applied.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sirus

sirus New Member
    2+ Year Member

Kev, I was very interested in your comments about residency rather than country of qualification being the key factor for U.K./EU citizens. Could you point me to some website which would confirm and clarify this? Thanks

4. JediBookworm

JediBookworm Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. Kev (UK)

Kev (UK) British Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry I don't have one! And I think in your case I may have misled you! I think the 3 year residency applies more to getting a place at university at Home Student rates rather than a job (which essentially is what a place on the Foundation Course is).

As a UK resident you must have the right to reside in your home country? Therefore, as long as your primary medical qualification is recognised by the GMC I can not see a problem with you getting a Foundation Course training post. The only restrictions are for those who don't have a right to live and work here (i.e. non UK/EEA residents). This should not be a problem for you should it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Sohail Nassir

Medical Student
    i am graduating from uk so wont have problems getting a job but i think it is a disgrace that we look at pples passports and not their merit!!!