Joining your Med School facebook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyankee88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people are doing this or in the midst of doing this? I have a couple hundred people on my facebook whom all I know very well. I joined my schools FB page and I'm literally getting friend requests from everybody at my school. (There's a few who will add every single person that joins the page) I don't wanna sound like I'm not a social person or have anything against anyone, but does anyone feel what I mean by saying I don't want to add every single person at my med school as a friend? Especially since, well, I don't even know you yet? Or am I just being weird about this?:help:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you hot? That would explain everything. And no you don't have to accept any request, maybe only the ppl that you'll meet later on.

I don't think it's a big deal. In fact, I don't know a single person in the city that I'm moving to, so I have no problem with my future classmates friending me. I think you're overreacting just a bit; most people would have no problem with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My system was joining the group and being friendly, but not actually adding people until I met them (or at least thought I met them-- orientation and the welcome party were a whirlwind).

I was wondering how many people are doing this or in the midst of doing this? I have a couple hundred people on my facebook whom all I know very well. I joined my schools FB page and I'm literally getting friend requests from everybody at my school. (There's a few who will add every single person that joins the page) I don't wanna sound like I'm not a social person or have anything against anyone, but does anyone feel what I mean by saying I don't want to add every single person at my med school as a friend? Especially since, well, I don't even know you yet? Or am I just being weird about this?:help:
If a classmate of yours adds everybody, he/she will likely not notice one person who doesn't accept. Don't worry about it. You could also just sit on the invites and just accept or deny them later after you meet them. They don't get a message or anything like that when you deny.

If a classmate of yours adds everybody, he/she will likely not notice one person who doesn't accept. Don't worry about it. You could also just sit on the invites and just accept or deny them later after you meet them. They don't get a message or anything like that when you deny.

Facebook pocket veto. And no I wouldn't consider it odd.

I personally haven't sent out any friend requests in my group, but I got about 10 or 12 requests. I added them because I see no harm in it. They will be my classmates, and as someone in the thread already said, I am moving to a place where I know precisely no one so it is kind of nice to at least be able to associate some names with some faces prior to arriving. I dunno doesn't seem like a big deal to me :shrug:.

I just accepted everyone then deleted the people who annoyed me later

Reactions: 9 users

Yeah, that is how I generally approach things on Facebook. If the person is a future classmate, or someone I have dealt with in the past either in real life or from a trusted online source, I like to give folks a fair shake before I write them off.

Yeah, that is how I generally approach things on Facebook. If the person is a future classmate, or someone I have dealt with in the past either in real life or from a trusted online source, I like to give folks a fair shake before I write them off.

Yeah everyone unfriended me on FB because I am annoying as hell.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You were "that guy" sending the 500 Farmville requests a day eh? :rofl:

No I was the guy posting selfies with my "Keep Calm, I'm ALMOST a Doctor" shirt. I was even WORSE! LOL

(JK btw...I've had two posts about my medical school stuff...one about the interview and the other about the acceptance...:whistle:).

No I was the guy posting selfies with my "Keep Calm, I'm ALMOST a Doctor" shirt. I was even WORSE! LOL

(JK btw...I've had two posts about my medical school stuff...one about the interview and the other about the acceptance...:whistle:).

Oh don't lie...you are totally gonna be "that guy" giving everyone hourly med school selfies...."here I am, half asleep in microbiology #totallyalmostdoctor", "here I am in OMM #closertototallybeingadoctor"...:laugh:

Heh, on the serious side of things I have made, I think, two posts on my wall TOTAL this entire year, one about interviews, and one when I decided where I was going...Geez i'm not very interesting :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
HAHAHA. Ok ok......I can't say I WON'T be that guy....but I just might have my own blog for medical school....ugh I hate myself. LOL.

Same, I think why I've simmered down is because UCSD (where I currently work) is chalk full of neurotic premeds...and the hype goes away once you get accepted IMO :( it's more scared then proud now haha.

Reactions: 1 users
.and the hype goes away once you get accepted IMO :( it's more scared then proud now haha.

Hahah very true indeed! I perused a few syllabii (I am not sure if that is a real word, but if its not, I hereby declare it word ;)) and have to say it would appear that all the rumors of the information fire hose of med school appear to be completely true:laugh:.

Hahah very true indeed! I perused a few syllabii (I am not sure if that is a real word, but if its not, I hereby declare it word ;)) and have to say it would appear that all the rumors of the information fire hose of med school appear to be completely true:laugh:.

I approve of your new word ;)

Yep! We just have to accept the monstrosity that is preclinicals.

On topic of this thread...I've met a few people from my school specifically through FB so I think it's worth it.

I've only had one person add me. I'm personally not big on adding people I don't know. But everyone is different.

@touchpause13 is always the boss..... ;)
giphy.gif

...and the hype goes away once you get accepted IMO :( it's more scared then proud now haha.

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about starting med school soon... But I'm not gonna lie, when I accepted my financial aid award the other day, I was like 'holy ****, this is for real'

DO 2019 yay!!!