Jones Reagent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor PJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone please clarify this info for me on Cr03 mixed with a primary alcohol, what is the product, an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid. According to kaplan I thought it was to a COOH, but Destroyer has it going to an Aldehyde. Who is right? :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

John's reagent with H2SO4( strong acid) makes COOH, but if it is not with H2SO4, it works same as PCC which makes aldehyde or ketone depends on number of carbon.

Doctor PJ what number in the destroyer are you referring to or is the roadmaps?

I always thought that CrO3 acts similarly as K2Cr2O7 which is a strong oxidizing agent and would take a primary alcohol to a carboxylic acid. According to what atlanta is saying I wonder if K2Cr2O7 is a strong oxidizing agent only with H2SO4?

K2Cr2O7 is a strong oxidizing agent no matter what it is with strong acid or not. Hope this helps

Doctor PJ what number in the destroyer are you referring to or is the roadmaps?

I always thought that CrO3 acts similarly as K2Cr2O7 which is a strong oxidizing agent and would take a primary alcohol to a carboxylic acid. According to what atlanta is saying I wonder if K2Cr2O7 is a strong oxidizing agent only with H2SO4?

Alltheway, yes its from the Roadmap 6 I just caught it myself and then checked kaplan. Yes the above post is correct. With H2SO4 it yields COOH. Now with K2Cr207 I hope it yields COOH with other reagents. :)