Journal article to summarize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanderson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm considering applying to a few AA schools over the summer, and they require that I submit a summary of an article published in a current anesthesia journal. I work at a research hospital and have access to many medical and science journals, but while I was sifting through some of them the other day, I realized that it was going to be tough to find a good one that stands out. Since I don't work in the anesthesia field now, I'm not very familiar with current issues, new up-and-coming treatments, etc. Has anyone read a journal article recently that would be a good one to summarize?

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Try browsing the forum in which you've posted.

A couple recent articles/threads that have been discussed here are the POISE trial and issues with BIS.

Good Journals to explore would be Anesthesiology, BJA, maybe Anesthesia and Analgesia.

I know you aren't asking us to do you work for you, but requests like this are often ignored. Your assignment includes actually choosing the article. Your paper will likely be easier to write if you believe in what you choose. You will be assessed more on the quality of your review than any attribute of the actual article you have chosen.

It's tough because you don't have much exposure to anesthesia, but just choose an article that is broad in scope and based on clinical practice instead of labwork. You might get some extra insight browsing the editorials or letters of the journals, because these typically highlight the more relevant articles, and also provide some insight into faults of the study or alternative viewpoints, all of which would be beneficial to include in your paper.

Nope, definitely not trying to get anyone to do work for me. I was just hoping for some suggestions as a place to start. I think it's pretty obvious that I would not just write a summary on the first article that was suggested to me. I just wanted to know what you all, as the experts in this field and the people who probably read more of these articles than any one else, found really interesting and/or relevant. Most of the stuff I've read through is very specific and is based on research done in a lab. And like you suggested, I'm looking for something broader.