Journal subscription?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a journal subscription to keep up with things. Anyone out there have any recommendations? NEJM is a pretty common choice but its not clinical enough for me. Half of it is research articles and just more research oriented. I am looking for something with more of a clinical emphasis. I like The Consultant but just wanted to get other opinions...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PTP said:
I was thinking about getting a journal subscription to keep up with things. Anyone out there have any recommendations? NEJM is a pretty common choice but its not clinical enough for me. Half of it is research articles and just more research oriented. I am looking for something with more of a clinical emphasis. I like The Consultant but just wanted to get other opinions...
Thanks

Those subscriptions to "real" journals (not the throwaway ones we get for free) are pretty expensive, even for a resident. Why not read them for free in the library?

At any rate, the choice of journal and the recomendations here would depend on what field of residency you are in.

Kimberli Cox said:
Those subscriptions to "real" journals (not the throwaway ones we get for free) are pretty expensive, even for a resident. Why not read them for free in the library?

I'm considering a subscription to NEJM even though I can read it in the library or online for free. I'll never read it regularly if I have to do that. If it comes to my house and I have it sitting on my bedside table, I'm much more likely look through it every week.

For students it's $65/year which isn't too bad for a (correction, THE) weekly journal.

Fermi said:
I'm considering a subscription to NEJM even though I can read it in the library or online for free. I'll never read it regularly if I have to do that. If it comes to my house and I have it sitting on my bedside table, I'm much more likely look through it every week.

You'd think, wouldn't you? However, sometime during third year my copies of NEJM started stacking up on my desk...then had to move them to a nearby chair...

:)

Blade28 said:
You'd think, wouldn't you? However, sometime during third year my copies of NEJM started stacking up on my desk...then had to move them to a nearby chair...

:)

LOL! I recently threw out my journals that I was meaning to get around to reading...these last 4 years!

Kimberli Cox said:
LOL! I recently threw out my journals that I was meaning to get around to reading...these last 4 years!

:laugh: Yup, the (small) stack of journals eventually got too large for my desk, so I moved them to a chair. Then the (larger) stack got moved to the ground...then my dining table...then the floor under the table. It's now quite a sizeable (read: gigantic!) stack. :)

Why not just read 'uptodate' on the net? Journals look good lining your bookshelf but it takes years for the esoteric research in most journals to become part of accepted science---unless of course you read them for the review articles.

Bo Hurley said:
Why not just read 'uptodate' on the net? Journals look good lining your bookshelf but it takes years for the esoteric research in most journals to become part of accepted science---unless of course you read them for the review articles.

Very expensive unless your school/hospital has an institutional subscription.

I think I once heard that an acceptable source of information/knowledge depends on your training level:

Medical student - textbook
Junior resident - Up-To-Date/review article
Senior resident - journal article
Attending - basic science research