Journal suggestions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good primary care/IM type journal to read, something that has topics a little more indepth than Harrision's (i.e. more pros/cons drug choices and stuff coming down the pike and more statistics). any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hernandez said:
I'm looking for a good primary care/IM type journal to read, something that has topics a little more indepth than Harrision's (i.e. more pros/cons drug choices and stuff coming down the pike and more statistics). any suggestions?

If you join the AAFP (American Assoc. Family Practice) as a student (free), you can get their journal in the mail for free. It's American Family Physician and while it doesn't usually have cutting edge info, it has very good overview articles regarding real-world practice guidelines or major health issues that you are definitely going to see.

pillowhead said:
If you join the AAFP (American Assoc. Family Practice) as a student (free), you can get their journal in the mail for free. It's American Family Physician and while it doesn't usually have cutting edge info, it has very good overview articles regarding real-world practice guidelines or major health issues that you are definitely going to see.

FWIW, a doc I worked under had me read many articles out of this journal and While for the most part the AFP is a good Journal, I've been disappointed by the prevalence of typo's and errors in it,

thank you for the suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hernandez said:

I highly recommend the New England Journal. Their reviews are excellent, as are their case reports and weekly images. Reading the table of contents alone, believe it or not, can make you look good on rounds just because you can say "there is a new NEJM paper out on blank." Many schools get online access to the journal of free....I would check to see if your school does.

JAMA is often offered for free by joining AMSA, but is much more variable than NEJM in quality.

The AAFP journal is sub-par in my opinion.

-PB

PickyBicky said:
I highly recommend the New England Journal. Their reviews are excellent, as are their case reports and weekly images. Reading the table of contents alone, believe it or not, can make you look good on rounds just because you can say "there is a new NEJM paper out on blank." Many schools get online access to the journal of free....I would check to see if your school does.

JAMA is often offered for free by joining AMSA, but is much more variable than NEJM in quality.

The AAFP journal is sub-par in my opinion.

-PB

I second the nejm. Every week they have a review on something that is readable and you learn everything that's current on the topic that isn't in textbooks (and stuff in textbooks as well).

JAMA's rational clinical exam series is really good as well.