Journals and Magazines in EM...which ones to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4Jesus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I have been reading what you all have to say about EM for quite a while now because I have been in love with this field for as long as I can remember. I am currently a first year medical student but I would like to learn as much now about the field as I can. My mind might change, but I can honestly say that I came to medical school to be an EP.

My question to you all is: What publications should I read to get an idea of what is going on in your field today? Annals of EM...emergency medicine magazine...etc? I would like to do some research this summer in this field and have limited outside reading time, so I just wanted to know the best sources for me to get an idea about what is important research material...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't know jesus was in such poor health.....

alright, now that i made my smart a** comment....

Newsletters/Mags
EM Resident

The Journals
Annals of EM
Journal of EM
Academic EM

(but right now, you can probably better spend your time concentrating on background textbook type information and reading the websites and newsletters for info about the field in general and residency)

websites

Join EMRA and read "rules of the road" and their other info
http://www.emra.org/index.cfm?FuseAction=Page&PageID=1000000

http://www.aaemrsa.org/index.php

Read?

You mean we're supposed to actually read all these journals that come in the mail? I've just been using them to prop up furniture.

Seriously, I think Annals is probably you're best bet. The ACEP newsletter is pretty good and EM News isn't bad either. Good bathroom material.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Thrasher is probably the magazine that contributes the most to EM, historically, or maybe something related to ATVs....

I'd start with Annals EM but there are a lot of other interesting journals, and to some degree it probably helps to at least scan over the literature of some other specialities and general medicine (JAMA, NEJM) in that we dont practice in a vacuum, pretty far the opposite if you take into account how many different fields we interact with regularly.

I personally think that all physicians should at least skim NEJM. It really is the premier journal and if EM studies are sufficiently big/important they might end up there anyway.

I don't think there's any replacement for actually reading the Annals of EM, but Journal Watch is great at picking up important stuff from the medicine, cards, gasser and other collateral journals.