xaelia

neenlet
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
PDX
emlitofnote.com
Status
Attending Physician
I really like Communication Arts, Dwell, and Azure. I have a subscription to Technology Review, too, but they've moved to a more web-centric publishing model that makes the print magazine a little less edifying. I get Stanford magazine as well, but I don't think you'd be interested in that.

Oh, yeah, and JAMA. I am underwhelmed by JAMA. I think NEJM is better, but I pretty much never had time 3rd year to do more than page through the table of contents and see if there was anything relevant to my current rotation.

Varmit22

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I found American Family Physician helpful for a general overview of topics that pertain to most clerkships. The online version is also free. During 4th year I think it's helpful to look at journals concerning the specialty you are considering.

About the Ads

vwhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Augusta
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Varmit22 said:
I found American Family Physician helpful for a general overview of topics that pertain to most clerkships. The online version is also free. During 4th year I think it's helpful to look at journals concerning the specialty you are considering.

Agreed. For some reason every search I did for a presentation landed me at AFP.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
UIowa <- UNM <- MSU <- SoCal
www.msu.edu
Status
Attending Physician
I get both JAMA and NEJM weekly, and read some others every so often.
I tend to like the articles in NEJM more, I feel that they are more clinically relevant. It is likely more an issue of preference than much else.
I've found The Lancet, BMJ, Annals of IM, Circulation, and many others very interesting and useful even now.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NEJM and BMJ are the ones I tend to read the most. I dont browse into the specialty journals too often unless I am looking for something in particular. The fiancee gets all sorts of pharmacy journals which are nice to flip through as well to keep up on new medication info.

About the Ads