journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

draino15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which are the best journals to subcribe to as a MS-III or IV
just specify which year.

Members don't see this ad.

I really like Communication Arts, Dwell, and Azure. I have a subscription to Technology Review, too, but they've moved to a more web-centric publishing model that makes the print magazine a little less edifying. I get Stanford magazine as well, but I don't think you'd be interested in that.

Oh, yeah, and JAMA. I am underwhelmed by JAMA. I think NEJM is better, but I pretty much never had time 3rd year to do more than page through the table of contents and see if there was anything relevant to my current rotation.

I found American Family Physician helpful for a general overview of topics that pertain to most clerkships. The online version is also free. During 4th year I think it's helpful to look at journals concerning the specialty you are considering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Varmit22 said:
I found American Family Physician helpful for a general overview of topics that pertain to most clerkships. The online version is also free. During 4th year I think it's helpful to look at journals concerning the specialty you are considering.

Agreed. For some reason every search I did for a presentation landed me at AFP.

I get both JAMA and NEJM weekly, and read some others every so often.
I tend to like the articles in NEJM more, I feel that they are more clinically relevant. It is likely more an issue of preference than much else.
I've found The Lancet, BMJ, Annals of IM, Circulation, and many others very interesting and useful even now.

NEJM and BMJ are the ones I tend to read the most. I dont browse into the specialty journals too often unless I am looking for something in particular. The fiancee gets all sorts of pharmacy journals which are nice to flip through as well to keep up on new medication info.