1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

journals?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by draino15, Jul 19, 2006.

1. draino15

draino15 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    which are the best journals to subcribe to as a MS-III or IV
    just specify which year.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I really like Communication Arts, Dwell, and Azure. I have a subscription to Technology Review, too, but they've moved to a more web-centric publishing model that makes the print magazine a little less edifying. I get Stanford magazine as well, but I don't think you'd be interested in that.

Oh, yeah, and JAMA. I am underwhelmed by JAMA. I think NEJM is better, but I pretty much never had time 3rd year to do more than page through the table of contents and see if there was anything relevant to my current rotation.

4. Varmit22

Varmit22 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I found American Family Physician helpful for a general overview of topics that pertain to most clerkships. The online version is also free. During 4th year I think it's helpful to look at journals concerning the specialty you are considering.

5. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Agreed. For some reason every search I did for a presentation landed me at AFP.

6. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I get both JAMA and NEJM weekly, and read some others every so often.
    I tend to like the articles in NEJM more, I feel that they are more clinically relevant. It is likely more an issue of preference than much else.
    I've found The Lancet, BMJ, Annals of IM, Circulation, and many others very interesting and useful even now.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NEJM and BMJ are the ones I tend to read the most. I dont browse into the specialty journals too often unless I am looking for something in particular. The fiancee gets all sorts of pharmacy journals which are nice to flip through as well to keep up on new medication info.