JPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podankle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any info on JPS residency/externship, besides the one posted in the review?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dtrack is distinguished alumni there. I also rotated there. It is a very good program, but only a very small percentage of externs are viable candidates, so sadly it is a wasted month for many in that they have no chance there. But it is still a great experience. It prepares you for a very specific type of job also, as it has a narrower than than some programs. I know not a lot of specifics there, dtrack can fill you in on the deets

Reactions: 1 user
I went as a 4th year. I thought dtracks's post was thorough enough that I didn't see the need to say anything more.

-They do a lot of amputations / I&Ds. I might be overstating it, but I think there were 2 days a week (+ some random others) of a first year cutting toes/TMAs.
-They have a lot of patients who are different (I know, we all think our patients are crazy). Fractures that walk all over it and won't stop smoking. People who won't tell you where they hurt or hurt everywhere. Just a lot of ridiculous stuff that could burn you out...
-I was not a viable candidate, but I would still visit again for the hands on student experience and the trauma I saw. That said, there were very few students the month I went, but I'm under the impression sometimes they take a ton of students.

I went as a 4th year. I thought dtracks's post was thorough enough that I didn't see the need to say anything more.

-They do a lot of amputations / I&Ds. I might be overstating it, but I think there were 2 days a week (+ some random others) of a first year cutting toes/TMAs.
-They have a lot of patients who are different (I know, we all think our patients are crazy). Fractures that walk all over it and won't stop smoking. People who won't tell you where they hurt or hurt everywhere. Just a lot of ridiculous stuff that could burn you out...
-I was not a viable candidate, but I would still visit again for the hands on student experience and the trauma I saw. That said, there were very few students the month I went, but I'm under the impression sometimes they take a ton of students.
What do you mean by viable candidate?

Poor word choice on my part. I don't think I had the insight to honestly assess myself at the time, but I definitely know now I wouldn't have performed well without oversight. Perhaps there's an argument to be made for developing under pressure rather than being bailed out when you get momentarily stuck. I'm distracting from the thread. I think confidence is a component of what they are looking for and I wouldn't have had enough. I did see plenty of teaching from the more senior residents down.

doesn't confidence come after practice and experience?
Poor word choice on my part. I don't think I had the insight to honestly assess myself at the time, but I definitely know now I wouldn't have performed well without oversight. Perhaps there's an argument to be made for developing under pressure rather than being bailed out when you get momentarily stuck. I'm distracting from the thread. I think confidence is a component of what they are looking for and I wouldn't have had enough. I did see plenty of teaching from the more senior residents down.

You can PM me with specific questions. I'll have to re-read my post in the residency review thread but if others are saying they felt it was largely accurate, then I doubt I would have many changes/edits to make. JPS is a good program, but it is very unique. In terms of resident autonomy it is on the extreme end of the "autonomy spectrum." Those with the stones to walk in an OR and be confident in your skills because you've seen or assisted with the procedure once or twice, and those that learn more by doing, typically feel like they "fit." It makes others uncomfortable and that is fine. It's not their style and while I always hoped they got some good experience during their month, they end up ranking JPS real low. I think students either really like it or they hate it, but I felt like everyone at least respected the training and thought the residents at the program were very good at what they did. Definitely doesn't have the case diversity as other big name programs, especially those where you drive around scrubbing cases Monday-Friday. But what most of the JPS guys and gals will tell you is that they are so comfortable with basic surgical, dissection, fixation skills and principals that by the time graduation rolls around, doing something for the first time in practice isn't a scary proposition at all. I've heard from other new docs something to the effect of "practice is going good, I'm enjoying it more than residency. But man that first time you're in the operating room by yourself without any attending it's a little nerve wracking." I totally get it, I've just never experienced that feeling at all since I had already been in an OR fixing stuff without an attending. There is more clinic than many programs (and it can be a beatdown) but the clinic at least contains all of your pre- and post-op patients. You do the notes and get practice coding and more importantly you see and manage complications from surgery. It's not a sexy benefit, but when I started practicing I felt very comfortable seeing 30-40 patients in a day, while staying on time and finishing all of my documentation. Being in a group that has other associates, my boss has said as much so I don't feel like I'm exaggerating in that regard.

Very good program, hopefully a good month for students, certainly not for everyone (honestly its probably not for most people). Academic standards in terms of those who end up getting ranked high and matching are very high as well. I think that contributes to air buds comment of "viable candidates".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users