"July 18th, 2014 - PCAT"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharm.D - Badger

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So today, I took my first Pearson Practice Test. I'm a bit upset with my overall scores so here they are:

Writing: 4
Verbal: 48% --> 19/40
Biology: 75% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 83% --> 40/48
Reading: 60% --> 26/48
Quant: 45% --> 22/48
Composite: 40-60%

I have been studying from a Kaplan PCAT prep class that I won for "FREE" (Stopped going after half way through it because how bad that class was, if I had to pay for that I would be upset), Dr. Collins, I bought everything from Pearson, MCAT in the box flashcards, Princeton Review PCAT book. I have been timing myself on the Dr. Collins practice tests. I always mess up on little things that's so upsetting. I feel like the Verbal is a lost cause, Quant is so difficult with the timing. What should I work on for the rest of my time prior to the PCAT on Friday, July 18th, 2014? Should I continually review all the material to stay fresh or just focus on Quant, Verbal, and Reading? Also, I practiced taking the Pearson practice test in the altered ideal conditions, in the noisy lobby of my school's library. I have been studying for this test every single day for about 8-10 hours since the spring semester ended until now.

My overall application:
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.89
-Associates Degree in Chemistry
-BS/ Candidate in Biochemistry
-Drastic upward grade trend.
-A's all in pre-reqs except Calc.--> B
-Was Student Government Treasurer: 1 year and 1/2
-Was Volunteer Coordinator for Pre-Pharm Org
-Now President of a Pre-Pharm Org
-730+ hours of volunteer in an Emergency Room at a huge Trauma Hospital and Free Medical Health Clinic.
-Aced Orgo whom Professor is writing me a LOR, Pharmacy Manager LOR, Clinic Director RN LOR
-3+ years as a Certified Pharmacy Tech.
-Shadowed 11 specialties from MD's
-Shadowed 2 Podiatrists
-Shadowed 5 Pharmacy Hospital Specialties
-Medical Mission work in Africa with the College of Nursing from the University I attend.
-Seriously when I say this, excellent Personal Statement (I was a foster child taking away from my parents).

I only tell you this because I want to shoot for a 70+ on the PCAT. I seriously hate standardized exams. What potentially could I get for a low score and still have a great chance for a good Pharmacy School? I know that some schools don't have minimum scores, they look at an applicant holistically and I don't want to apply to California. I've seen statistics from schools with ranges from 22-99%.

What should I focus on now until the 18th to raise my score to 70+%. How should I study for Quant, Reading, lol maybe verbal? What score would you not retake with my application? I want to apply a week after my test!
 
Wow man your application is beautiful! You have so many things going for you. You never know until the real test. You have SUCH a good application that you just need a simple competitive score for your application to be viewed. You don't need to shoot for 80+, I say a 70 composite will get you recognition. What scares me is my application is nothing close to yours lol. I feel so under qualified compared to you
 
Thank you so much! If you were me, what should I focus on moving this point forward? Just review what I'm weak in or continually review everything? Are you applying this cycle? Have you taken the PCAT?
 
When taking the pearson practice test, it should have given you a range for your scores for each section.
Verbal: 48% --> 19/40
Biology: 75% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 83% --> 40/48
Reading: 60% --> 26/48
Quant: 45% --> 22/48
I know when I took mine it got rid of the experimental questions part so it was graded out of 40 questions for the Bio and Chem. Once you complete the test, it will give you a composite range. You must have looked at the percentage correct part and not the range.

**Basically what I am trying to say is the percentage you get right does NOT correlate with the percentage score you receive on the actual test since it is compared to other individuals. When you look at the pearson score report, there is a picture on the top and says "you are here" and that is the range you are in. It should be a lot higher than the subtest scores posted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much! If you were me, what should I focus on moving this point forward? Just review what I'm weak in or continually review everything? Are you applying this cycle? Have you taken the PCAT?

Yes I took the PCAT in January with barely any preparation and tanked it. To be honest, focus the most on what YOU ARE GOOD AT. If you get like a 90+ on your best subjects and like a 10% on your weakest ones, your composite will still be 80+
 
Just took the second pearson practice test. I'm really pleased with my improvement.

Writing: 4
Verbal: 63% --> 25/40
Biology: 85% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 78% --> 35/48
Reading: 63% --> 28/48
Quantitative: 58% --> 25/48
Composite: 62-82%

I feel so much better about this now! I'm just going to keep focusing on what I did to improve. I hate that they give you a range your theoretically in! How do you know if your on the low or high end or in the middle?
 
just remember there is 8 experimental questions for bio and chem. even easier to identify since i think they are the new reading passages. for verbal i guess it is up to ur own knowledge of words. Verbal isn't that bad for me, but u really gotta figure out the connection for the analogies because they throw in words that relate to the given, but the connection to the other side is what helps u know what it is asking