Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

July 2 MCAT and applications timing

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Mae16, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Mae16

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi - Have a question about application timing and the MCAT.

I'd like to take the July 2nd MCAT -- AMCAS says these scores are released August 4.

So my schedule would be:
    June - submit primary applications, study for MCAT
    July - take MCAT & submit all secondaries
    August 4 - get MCAT score; med schools hopefully start evaluating my applications right away

So...a few questions:

Can I submit secondary applications before I get the MCAT score?

And will med schools likely start looking at my applications immediately in early August, once I get the score, and if so -- is this early enough?

Thanks for any help!

2. Chango

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You will still want to submit your primary as close to the application opening date as possible, which includes requesting transcripts even before the application is open.

Secondaries will start to come in, and you can definitely submit without your MCAT but it will put you in queu for them to review your application but they will not review it until your scores are released.

I took my MCAT on July 9, scores were released just after Aug 9 and I had my first interview on Sept 24.

Don't forget to apply broadly if you are unsure of your performance on the MCAT, it will help so you don't have to scramble to add schools. It is early enough, but applying early is the trend so you don't get a considerable advantage anyway.

Good luck!

3. engPhD09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What about schools that screen the secondary? Won't they have to wait for the MCAT to come in before sending the secondary?