july pcat...anyone else nervous?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagetinsobad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my pcat on july 19th... ONLY 18 DAYS AWAY!! I'm pretty nervous.. I'm not doing so well on practice exams so I really need to focus on the materials I keep getting wrong =( How are other ppl doing on studying and practice exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still working on my weak points (and working full time). It helps to skip questions you're not sure about and get the ones you can then go back and try the ones skipped. I do the practice exams in the local university computer room to simulate test conditions. Great, now I'm getting nervous, thanks!

You'll be nervous, that's normal. I took it July of last year and I was freaking out around this time too. Make sure to take a few days off before your test date to give your brain the needed rest as you're pretty burned out right now. Relax, take a few days off and do things you enjoy, get fresh air, etc. When test day comes do the best you can, that's all you can do. Bring water and a small snack (nuts, beef jerky, etc.). Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Arrrggggg I'm sitting here going over some Bio/Orgo and Chem stuff... my weakest area is probably the math where it concerns the calculus material! I haven't done calc in ages and also the reading passages are not bad but after the 3rd passage i tend to space out and don't do so well on the last 3. I'm so nervous but at the same time I want it to be over already :scared:

good luck to everyone taking it next Wednesday and Thursday!! At this point just concentrate on your weak areas do as many practice exams as possible and don't stress out too much... Good Luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty much freaking out. I have done some Dr. Collins practice tests and just did the Pearson Practice tests and did not do as good as I was hoping (In the 70's for math/bio/chem). It doesn't help that I am taking a full course load too..

Why can't we take the PCAT in August?! That would be the perfect time :D

Definately nervous, taking mine July 19th as well.

More so nervous because I'm in Gen. Chem 2 and AP I right now this summer.. and still haven't taken Biochem/Organic/Physics/Calculus/APII... going to hurt my score.

How long in advance have you guys been studying for the PCAT? How many hrs a day?

I can't believe it has snuck up on me like this. I'm feeling pretty prepared, but still! I am going to be very happy when it is July 20th. Then I can finally stop worrying about this

How long in advance have you guys been studying for the PCAT? How many hrs a day?

I started studying in the beginning of June, maybe 2-3 times a week for about 3-4 hours. I have been studying everyday for 2-4 hours the past week and am freaking out. Everything takes me longer than I anticipate & I havn't finished the Dr. Collins Practice Tests..

Do you guys think it's more beneficial to focus on studying material, or religiously doing practice tests?!!?

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying in the beginning of June, maybe 2-3 times a week for about 3-4 hours. I have been studying everyday for 2-4 hours the past week and am freaking out. Everything takes me longer than I anticipate & I havn't finished the Dr. Collins Practice Tests..

Do you guys think it's more beneficial to focus on studying material, or religiously doing practice tests?!!?

I think it's helpful to do practice tests to see where you're at, what you know, and what you don't know and study from there. You can probably get through a lot of the Dr. Collins practice tests if you just set aside one day and focus on it.

I too am nervous. Just completed my first year of prepharm, so I feel like I have to learn a lot of the info outside of the classroom.
One website you guys might find helpful is http://khanacademy.com
Bill gates endorsed this website. Basically has every subject on the pcat in video review format, and has been good for me.

Check it out!
Good luck to all. 7 days away for me.

IMO i definitely think you should do practice exams. At this point (1 week before the exam) you'll put a lot of pressure on yourself if you just go all out studying. At least for me that's how I feel.

And I think for me I learn a lot more when I do these practice exams because there may be a problem that just throws me off and then I can go back and review that particular subject over again.

If I really need to study I just go and watch Chad vids or randomly search topics on Youtube (especially for calculus and biology material). But all in all as long as you put in enough time for studying just be confident in your abilities :) ... well at least thats what I try and tell myself :smuggrin:

I too am nervous. Just completed my first year of prepharm, so I feel like I have to learn a lot of the info outside of the classroom.
One website you guys might find helpful is http://khanacademy.com
Bill gates endorsed this website. Basically has every subject on the pcat in video review format, and has been good for me.

Check it out!
Good luck to all. 7 days away for me.

yes he's really good I also like these youtubers freelanceteach and patrickjm the first for orgo and chem. He's a bit in depth but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to learning stuff so it really helped me. For calculus and math the patrick guy was a genius :love:

http://www.youtube.com/user/freelanceteach

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT?feature=chclk

yes, nervous... and also upset at scoring very low on Reading & Verbal sections of practice tests :(

Me too D: GUHHJKDSHKJDSJKHJKDSKJ. I need to vent somewhere. I really want to get this out of the way in one go!

So I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm at the point of taking Dr. Collins practice tests and for anyone who has taken the PCAT: How stingy are they with decimals. In the Dr. Collins book they put a lot of emphasis on some of the rounding, but not others. Oh and I am really nervous too, but you can always take it again in September.

I'm really back and forth between being incredibly nervous and feeling ready to take the exam already and be done with it. Probably doesn't help that my composite score on the second pearson practice test I took was lower than the one before it.

BUT I think whatever happens happens, and everything will work out okay, in the end.

I'm really back and forth between being incredibly nervous and feeling ready to take the exam already and be done with it.
BUT I think whatever happens happens, and everything will work out okay, in the end.

Exactly how I feel. I'm nervous for it mainly since I'm worried if the bio/chem/quant sections will have more questions on the particular areas I'm not as strong in. However, I think the change the bio section helped me a lot more, cause I haven't looked at plant biology in a really long time, haha.

where is everyone at with their studying?
what is everyones plans for the upcoming week to prepare for the big day??

I am done reviewing everything except bio(it's taking me awhile) but mainly i'm just focusing on the dr. collins practice tests & i still have 2 pearson practice tests to take (going to take one sunday and the last one wednesday morning) i don't feel as ready as i wanted to be so i'm super stressed out. also i havn't done all of the dr. collins practice tests yet :eek: i keep getting hung up on previous exams.

to prepare i am going to finish the practice tests and just fine tune issue areas. i took off from work this whole week and will not be studying for my summer classes. i got a hotel room close to the pcat testing center so i can hopefully relax the night before.

I just relax from now on. Practiced all the tests including the 3 official ones and kept choosing the wrong choices even they were really easy. I can not tolerate the time-stress. But anyway, I wish the test is done and I can concentrate on the PHARMCAS

Forget it man....I am doing well in the practice exams but still nervous is like someone put a stone over my heart............:laugh:

Forget it man....I am doing well in the practice exams but still nervous is like someone put a stone over my heart............:laugh:

Same. :scared: I have moments where I feel very confident... then I think, "But what about this, and this, and this!"

How can you guys prepare for the writing? For me, I try to collect ideas for each topics so I do not spend a lot of time in the real writing test to find the ideas. Please share the way you are using now. Thanks

I feel excited now because it will be finally done after the next 3 days. I have the test on 07/18. I got stressful during the last 5 months because studying this test. I hope that I can get the compensation.

How can you guys prepare for the writing? For me, I try to collect ideas for each topics so I do not spend a lot of time in the real writing test to find the ideas. Please share the way you are using now. Thanks

I feel excited now because it will be finally done after the next 3 days. I have the test on 07/18. I got stressful during the last 5 months because studying this test. I hope that I can get the compensation.

GUD LUck Man Let Us Know how It go.............Also Please Post any tips You would like to SHare with Us........Especially Math..........section.:smuggrin: