June 12, Step 2 CS result thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EaglesAllDay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else waiting for their results tomorrow?????

Anxious as hell, the wait has been brutal

Members don't see this ad.

i'm waiting too..Can't sleep!!! I thought I did well, but then I started hearing all these stories of people in my school failing. Decent, capable, socially normal students who speak English as their 1st language...and now I'm freaking out!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm waiting too..Can't sleep!!! I thought I did well, but then I started hearing all these stories of people in my school failing. Decent, capable, socially normal students who speak English as their 1st language...and now I'm freaking out!!

^ ditto to all of this. :scared: :(

I took mine April 9th and just got my report - PASS.

I was a little worried about it because i've made many common mistakes mentioned by the people on this board. However, what kept me from dwelling on it was that everyone i talked to made these mistakes. So, with that knowledge i decided not to stress myself but expect as passing score.

I took my exam on April 9 as well and have not received a score report. Took the test in Chicago.

I guess I will have to wait another week? This is one of the worst feelings ever.

Passed! Took the exam April 18 in Philly. Got the email at 9:50am eastern time. Passed with high performance in sep and ice, and borderline-high in cis. So yeah def did the worst in cis, seems that's the hard part for everyone these days. Just thankful I passed.

I actually just got an email from NBME and looks like I passed as well. My XXXs are literally spanning the entire "borderline" width of the ICE subsection. Mother ^@%# that was close.

Good luck to the rest of y'alls.

Members don't see this ad :)
The usmle website says that the majority of people who took it in this testing period (march 28-may 18) will find out this wed, with 98-99% finding out over the next 2 Wednesdays. Those that took it in the very end of the testing period may have to wait!

I called ecfmg, and the lady was annoyed. I'm sure many people have called asking about their cs scores. I know a few people who took their exams after me, and have gotten their score today. I don't think there's an order. It's just scattered. Also i asked if they release them only on wed, and whether it's before a certain time. She said it can be any day, any time...i was like wtf?! So, i'll have to be throwing up everything i eat from now until possibly july 10th is what i said to her. She had no response. ahhhhhhhh

I called ecfmg, and the lady was annoyed. I'm sure many people have called asking about their cs scores. I know a few people who took their exams after me, and have gotten their score today. I don't think there's an order. It's just scattered. Also i asked if they release them only on wed, and whether it's before a certain time. She said it can be any day, any time...i was like wtf?! So, i'll have to be throwing up everything i eat from now until possibly july 10th is what i said to her. She had no response. ahhhhhhhh

Lol. This is whack as hell. Its definitely scattered though because ive seen people who took the exam on may 17 (same day i did) get their results already and some people who took it before then like around april still not receive their scores.

Cant concentrate on CK, this is brutal, will be checking that email periodically.

Congrats again to those who passed!

I took it in May and turns out I passed. I registered this account to let y'all know my experience and offer some advice bc I know this test has become a gremlin (used to be cute and cuddly and now its morphed into some horrible creature)

I'm a above average American Med student (230s Step 1 // classes with mostly honors and the rest passes, which on SDN puts me in the bottom 2%:)) but my strength is my interaction with patients. I took my test in Houston and my CS scores were kissing the borderline area, which came as a surprise to me. I used First Aid CS and Kaplans 35 complex cases. I thought both were good and helpful although they were written before everything was mandatory on the computer. I used the online PN template at nbme.org also along with my wife as a practice standardized patient. My school has us do OSCEs pretty frequently and even offers a mini (6cases)Step 2CS practice for us.

My advice is this:
-Take this test seriously, which you probably already do bc you're reading some random persons Internet advice
-Use, at the very least, First Aid for CS or some source that goes through the different situations you can see
-Get a person or group of people to practice being standardized patients on. I can't overstate this.
-You don't need to know treatment for your note, but your patients will ask you about it on the exam. Be able to talk to them about it but don't offer anything definitive unless you're sure about your dx.
-Practice writing your note with nbme software

Good luck everybody!

Oh man. They should really do it in the order you've taken it. It makes more sense. I wish we had more control over when we get our results back, esp if we're paying so much for this exam. Yea, this exam is no longer cute and cuddly. You never know what you get with it anymore. I don't know what the heck the ecfmg lady was talking about, but i'm pretty sure that if we didn't get scores today, we should get the next wave of scores next wed (6/19).

I know this test has become a gremlin (used to be cute and cuddly and now its morphed into some horrible creature)

Excellent way of putting it. During my rotations, every attending would ask me "Why are you even studying for this exam, you speak English! thats enough!" No one believed me when I said this exam has become more and more difficult. I read somewhere that they increased the fail rate to 6-8% for US students and 18% for IMGs. I mean it doesn't suprise me, the more fails you have, the more $$ it generates for the NBME, plus it helps residency programs weed out tons of applications.

Yes my advice is to definitely practice practice practice even if you are a 260s/4.0 destined for rad-onc kind of student. Everyone I have talked to recently (including myself) had at least one "borderline" section...its definitely not as easy to pass as one may think. Basically we all barely passed, considering you have to pass all 3 sections to pass overall. I mean CIS seems like the easiest section - how hard is it to be polite and professional? I thought I knocked that one out of the park..I was soooo careful to always introduce myself, drape the patients, wash my hands, counsel on smoking... but I didn't do as well as I thought!

Just in case this may help future test-takers, I thought I would try and list what I might have gotten wrong in the CIS portion of my exam:
- on a couple of patients, i leaned them back on the table to examine abdomen and I momentarily forgot to pull out the bottom part of the table where the patient is supposed to rest their legs. I caught myself like maybe 10-15 secs into the abdominal exam.
- patient that got offended when i asked CAGE
- patient that got offended when I counseled her on condom use
- patient that got offended when i screened her for depression/abuse at home
- I had one patient who was actually a doctor himself, and I didn't catch his title in the doorway information. When I called him Mr. whatever, he quite rudely was like "Thats DOCTOR whatever to you". And of course, as I was saying goodbye to him, I called him Mr. again!

So basically, I'm wondering if I couldn't discuss sensitive topics well enough - alcohol, condoms, depression... Maybe I was too blunt? Or I brought them up when it wasn't needed? Or maybe the SPs are just meant to challenge you? Either way I got incredibly flustered when they got offended. Hopefully this information helps someone...Even though I went through the entire FA for CS book, I still had difficulty with these topics. So my advice is to practice talking about these issues.

Last edited:
Excellent way of putting it. During my rotations, every attending would ask me "Why are you even studying for this exam, you speak English! thats enough!" No one believed me when I said this exam has become more and more difficult. I read somewhere that they increased the fail rate to 6-8% for US students and 18% for IMGs. I mean it doesn't suprise me, the more fails you have, the more $$ it generates for the NBME, plus it helps residency programs weed out tons of applications.

Yes my advice is to definitely practice practice practice even if you are a 260s/4.0 destined for rad-onc kind of student. Everyone I have talked to recently (including myself) had at least one "borderline" section...its definitely not as easy to pass as one may think. Basically we all barely passed, considering you have to pass all 3 sections to pass overall. I mean CIS seems like the easiest section - how hard is it to be polite and professional? I thought I knocked that one out of the park..I was soooo careful to always introduce myself, drape the patients, wash my hands, counsel on smoking... but I didn't do as well as I thought!

Just in case this may help future test-takers, I thought I would try and list what I might have gotten wrong in the CIS portion of my exam:
- on a couple of patients, i leaned them back on the table to examine abdomen and I momentarily forgot to pull out the bottom part of the table where the patient is supposed to rest their legs. I caught myself like maybe 10-15 secs into the abdominal exam.
- I had one patient who was actually a doctor himself, and I didn't catch his title in the doorway information. When I called him Mr. whatever, he quite rudely was like "Thats DOCTOR whatever to you". And of course, as I was saying goodbye to him, I called him Mr. again!

So basically, I'm wondering if I couldn't discuss sensitive topics well enough - alcohol, condoms, depression... Maybe I was too blunt? Or I brought them up when it wasn't needed? Or maybe the SPs are just meant to challenge you? Either way I got incredibly flustered when they got offended. Hopefully this information helps someone...Even though I went through the entire FA for CS book, I still had difficulty with these topics. So my advice is to practice talking about these issues.

They increased it BY those numbers. Now over 30% of IMGs will fail it, and about 10% of AMGs.

There's a serious divide between actual patient care and this exam. We know how patients are in real life - how they act, whats important to them, things they truly care about and what doesn't phase them at all. This exam is a game in itself. Really odd.

IMG here. I found out I failed the CIS portion yesterday. I took it with a friend of mine, she also failed on the CIS portion.

We are both US born Caribbean med school students. Our english is impeccable. We were polite and compassionate. We weren't the type of students to fire a battery of memorized pnuemonics. We counseled, made a plan for each and every patient, politely asked if they had any further questions, and left the room. None of the patients were offended by any of our questions.

This seems like a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense to me. It's stuff like this that makes me want to leave this ridiculous field. My step 1 score was not up to par, and now this? I sent a score recheck yesterday. Nothing will come of it. I'm seriously considering leaving medicine.

US IMG, took the exam beginning of April in Atlanta failed the ICE portion, borderline....everything else asteriks to the right! This exam is beyond frustrating!!! Especially now that they dont even give full breakdown of what exactly you failed in!

hmmmmm this sounds like one of my Texas Tech classmates ;) yes?

I took it in May and turns out I passed. I registered this account to let y'all know my experience and offer some advice bc I know this test has become a gremlin (used to be cute and cuddly and now its morphed into some horrible creature)

I'm a above average American Med student (230s Step 1 // classes with mostly honors and the rest passes, which on SDN puts me in the bottom 2%:)) but my strength is my interaction with patients. I took my test in Houston and my CS scores were kissing the borderline area, which came as a surprise to me. I used First Aid CS and Kaplans 35 complex cases. I thought both were good and helpful although they were written before everything was mandatory on the computer. I used the online PN template at nbme.org also along with my wife as a practice standardized patient. My school has us do OSCEs pretty frequently and even offers a mini (6cases)Step 2CS practice for us.

My advice is this:
-Take this test seriously, which you probably already do bc you're reading some random persons Internet advice
-Use, at the very least, First Aid for CS or some source that goes through the different situations you can see
-Get a person or group of people to practice being standardized patients on. I can't overstate this.
-You don't need to know treatment for your note, but your patients will ask you about it on the exam. Be able to talk to them about it but don't offer anything definitive unless you're sure about your dx.
-Practice writing your note with nbme software

Good luck everybody!

I took my CS on May 11 in LA. I know several other people who took it in LA before me, and 1 person who took it with me on that day. Everyone I know has gotten their score already, but I have not. This is making me very nervous. I've read on the SDN that they generally release scores in order of performance. Meaning, those who passed with room to spare are reported first, and those who barely passed next, and those who failed are reported last. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Should I be worried by the fact that I have not yet received my scores?

Does anyone know how I may contact the NBME?

I took my CS on May 11 in LA. I know several other people who took it in LA before me, and 1 person who took it with me on that day. Everyone I know has gotten their score already, but I have not. This is making me very nervous. I've read on the SDN that they generally release scores in order of performance. Meaning, those who passed with room to spare are reported first, and those who barely passed next, and those who failed are reported last. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Should I be worried by the fact that I have not yet received my scores?

Does anyone know how I may contact the NBME?

It's not even remotely true.

It's not even remotely true.
Thank goodness for that. Although I'm still terrified by the fact that I haven't received my score report yet. Especially given the fact that people who took it on the same day, same location, and same side of the hallway, have already gotten their scores.

Does anyone have any inside information on how they release score reports? Or is it just completely random?

I just wanted to share my experience on here.

I am a US allopathic MS3 and I took my step 2 CS May 11 in LA with a classmate of mine. I knew several people who took the test in LA before me. Everyone including my friend (who took it the same day and on the same side of the hallway) got their test score the first week that scores were released. I didn't get mine the first week, or the second week that scores were released.

I freaked out, and I called the NBME to talk to someone thinking that they either made a mistake or that I failed. They told me that part of the quality assurance process is having the written portion of the exam graded anonymously. So what they do, is the NBME divides up the written portion and gives it out to various physicians, and each physician has a different date in which they need to get them all back by. Some physicians get it done early, some don't get it done until the deadline. This is why there is a variability in when some people get their scores. So getting your score report later than people who took it with you or after you is not a bad omen, they just aren't done with the quality assurance process (grading the written part).

Today is the 3rd Wednesday and I finally got my score report today and I am relieved to say that I passed.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually just got an email from NBME and looks like I passed as well. My XXXs are literally spanning the entire "borderline" width of the ICE subsection. Mother ^@%# that was close.

Good luck to the rest of y'alls.

I prepare myself for CS in 2 months .
What is the mosst difficult part after all the changes made this year ?

Thanks in advance ?

hmmmmm this sounds like one of my Texas Tech classmates ;) yes?

Thank you for the advise , however what became the most difficult part .

I am quite good at Hx and P/E and speaking with patients .
I can write fast .
Where is the problem ?
Thank you for your time .

Is the CIS part the most difficult or the way the Standard patient reacts ?
Thank you for your time .