June 2014 DAT - FINISHED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hl808

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
**DISCLAIMER: LONG POST** After a month and a half of intense studying...I AM FINALLY DONE!!! This is the second time I took the exam and am quite satisfied with my scores. It's not a 25 AA or anything, but these scores are a HUGE improvement from the first time...except QR....you'll see what I mean.

DAT 2012:
Bio - 18
Gen Chem - 17
O Chem - 18
PAT - 22
RC - 21
QR - 22

DAT 2014:
Bio - 21
Gen Chem - 21
O Chem - 22
PAT - 26
RC - 23
QR - 18

HOW DID I GO DOWN 4 POINTS IN QR?!?! TT.TT *I cry* I actually thought QR was a lot easier than what I was used to but I guess I was too exhausted by the time it came around. I hope adcoms won't look at both years and be like "why/how did she go down 4 points?" -___-

I went through a few DAT SDN threads before taking my exam and noticed a pattern for some of the questions, especially in Bio! Two people said something about a lot of phylogeny/taxonomy questions...I brushed up on those and low-and-behold, I got 3 on my exam! Someone also mentioned some weird microscope question. I wish I looked those up because I got it too and had no idea...

Here's a breakdown of each section:

Bio: I am most shocked for this section because I pretty much stopped studying for it about 2 weeks ago because my scores weren't improving. I figured I could raise my overall AA by doing well in O Chem, RC and QR (not QR...) so focused more on those.

Gen Chem: This section wasn't too bad! This was consistently my worse science score on all my practice exams so I was very happy with my 21. Again, I studied quite a bit for gen chem since I figured you can only be tested on so many things.

O Chem: Ahhh! I am so happy about this score! I took O Chem 4 years ago and pretty much forgot EVERYTHING from the last time I took the DAT...after rewatching Chad twice, I began studying for this section. It was a lot easier than I remembered the last time (I was also better prepared hehe) and did not get any random questions that I haven't seen before.

PAT: I did PAT practice every single day. I saw it more as a "break" from the intense sciences and tried to think of it as "fun". Haha, I guess it worked!
- Keyholes: not too bad, but some of the shapes looks like surfaces of the moon...jagged with bumps and divots in random places. Had some trouble with about 3 of these.
- TFE: A lot than Bootcamp and Crack DAT PAT. Some were super easy!
- Angles: About the same as Bootcamp and CDP. I think Bootcamp random angle generator (which I did for about 10 mins each day) was extremely helpful!
- Hole Punch: WAY easier than Bootcamp! I think I only got 3 half hole ones...I also used Bootcamps random generator and used the grid method; 100% every time! There were some that I even saw on Bootcamp!
- Cube Counting: Similar in difficulty in Bootcamp. Maybe around 15-20 cubes each? Had one that was a bit tricky (never assume there is a cube somewhere behind another cube!). I don't tally each cube. Takes way too long. I just count and keep tally on one hand while pointing to each cube (count on one hand using American Sign Language). I've been getting 100% on Bootcamp random generator.
- Folding: Similar to Bootcamp and CDP.

RC: I didn't study for this at all. I personally couldn't figure out how to study for RC unless you count the nights I reread Harry Potter before bed! LOL Purely used Search and Destroy. Didn't need to write anything down either. I was a little scared that most of the questions would be tone questions, but surprisingly the majority were detail-oriented and can be found using Search and Destroy. All science/biology related questions. Quite interesting reads too :]

QR: Oh gah...I'm sad. Seriously, the questions were NOT that hard. Time is against me on this section and I think if I had an extra 15 mins I could have raise my score at least 2 points. Had about a minute to spare at the end but my hands were shaking and numb at this point that I just took a deep breath and waited for the exam to be over.

Overall, I felt a lot better taking it the second time around. I couldn't remember much from the first time, but definitely entered the exam less stressed despite having more to lose this time around. If anyone wants a breakdown of my study schedule/resources used/tips (especially for PAT), let me know! I found reviewing other peoples study habits/breakdowns insightful, although I was fully aware that what works for others may not work for me. Time management, diligence, and a healthy dose of optimism - my DAT mantra :D

Last bit of advice/words of encouragement to all who are preparing for the DATs/dental applications. Some of you may have heard about a shooting that occurred at Seattle Pacific University and a 19 year old man died. I found out last night, the day before my exam, that it was my childhood friend, Paul Lee. We grew up in the same church and our families were close. It was a huge shock and my heart breaks as I write this, but I had to keep myself together in order to focus on the exam. Amazingly, I went into the exam incredibly calm and peaceful because I truly sunk in last night that doing poorly on the DATs, not getting into dental, not becoming a dentist is NOT the end of the world. Life is so fragile and incredibly short to be so negatively affected by it. Yes, our future is on the line. Yes, we have to work hard in order to pursue our goals. Yes, I am passionate about dentistry. But I have seen people freak out over the DATs, say discouraging things to each other on SDN (haters gon' hate!), and let this whole journey of becoming a dentist be so negative. Work hard and study diligently but rest assured that our lives physically, literally do not depend on this exam and having that burden 'we pre-dent students all have' lifted from my shoulders was a huge relief! I was less stressed and was able to focus my energy on the actual exam.

PM if you need any study tips/resources/encouragement! Good luck to everyone who will be taking their exams! YOU GOT THISSS!!

And to all you haters out there who will say my scores are too low, I should pursue an MPH first, or whatever...I'm going to get into dental school! JUST WATCH ME!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
:D
And to all you haters out there who will say my scores are too low, I should pursue an MPH first, or whatever...I'm going to get into dental school! JUST WATCH ME!

Nobody is going to tell you to retake with a 21 AA and no scores lower than am 18, however if your GPA is in the trash, Masters and SMPs are completely legitimate options... Dunno why you take random strangers' advice on the internet as an insult, we're all just trying to be honest.

Reactions: 1 user

I really doubt anyone will suggest a retake, even with the drop in QR. You made a great improvement from your last attempt and should be proud. Best of luck this cycle.

Nobody is going to tell you to retake with a 21 AA and no scores lower than am 18, however if your GPA is in the trash, Masters and SMPs are completely legitimate options... Dunno why you take random strangers' advice on the internet as an insult, we're all just trying to be honest.
Nah, not taking it as insult. And I take a lot of what I see on SDN with a grain of salt. But I have seen one too many posts where people are passive aggressively bashing each other and saying [what I thought were good scores] aren't good enough. It's all relative I guess :/ Input and critical feedback is great, I think some people just aren't very tactful about it. And I will consider graduate school if dental school doesn't work out this cycle, but I am going at this cycle headstrong! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I really doubt anyone will suggest a retake, even with the drop in QR. You made a great improvement from your last attempt and should be proud. Best of luck this cycle.
Thanks! I don't think I want to retake the DATs ever again... TT.TT

ㅠㅠ 지마 ㅋㅋ 잘봤어

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KOREANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Guys, speaking of Koreans, Psy has a new song out called Hangover feat. Snoop Dogg, lol.

Great job! Your handwork really paid off! :) My test is in 8 days I was freaking out until I read your post. Thank you for all the advise it helped a lot! Was there a lot of questions about the immune system in the biology section?

Congratulations, awesome scores! Thank you for including a snapshot into what questions you received on the exam. Were your Bootcamp practice scores similar to your actual test?

Nice job!

I'm reading through Cliff taxonomy-biological diversity section and I find the material so dense. Do we really have to know all that or did u have general questions for taxonomy, could u give an example thank you!!

Congratulations! Did you take the 2007 or 2009 practice test? Was wondering if your scores were similar

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Thanks so much for including tips on which areas specifically we should be focusing on while studying, that is always the most helpful! Enjoy being done :)

KOREANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Guys, speaking of Koreans, Psy has a new song out called Hangover feat. Snoop Dogg, lol.
Haha! They were promoting their video on Jimmy Kimmel and my dad shouted to me saying "look it's Psy and Snoopy Dogg!" Oh father... -__-

Great job! Your handwork really paid off! :) My test is in 8 days I was freaking out until I read your post. Thank you for all the advise it helped a lot! Was there a lot of questions about the immune system in the biology section?
Don't freak out! 8 days is plenty of time to hone in on weaknesses and solidify your strengths!! Make every day purposeful and be efficient in your studying, you got this! :]

Last edited:
Congratulations, awesome scores! Thank you for including a snapshot into what questions you received on the exam. Were your Bootcamp practice scores similar to your actual test?
Thank you! I received help from fellow SDNers and am paying it forward to others! :)

Oh gosh no, my bootcamp scores were all over the place! I don't think I got above a 20 in any of the sciences except Gen Chem exam 3 (which I somehow got a 23 in...). I'd go from an 18 to 16 to 20 then 19...I was getting discouraged because even though I wasn't breaking 20's, I was hoping for some consistency so that I could attempt to gauge my real score. I averaged 21-22 on RC on Bootcamp, 22 on PAT, and 20 on QR so my 18 on the real DATs were a huge bummer...

I will say that I have seen several posts saying that "you will score 2-3 points than Achiever, 1-2 points than Bootcamp", etc. but I did not go into the exam expecting to score higher than any of my practice scores and I won't be saying the same to others. I replied to a PM that I believe these test prep resources are meant to be harder, more detailed oriented, and nit-picky in their questions because how else are we supposed to learn the material otherwise? If you need to learn a topic, say on photosynthesis, you wouldn't learn much if the question asked "where does the light cycle occur?" Something like "at what absorbance does photosystem II capture photons" would force you to understand the details, therefore being able to answer the easier surface level questions on the actual DAT. So don't get discouraged with lower than expected scores, but trust that these test prep resources are helping you more than you would think! ;)

Last edited:
Nice job!

I'm reading through Cliff taxonomy-biological diversity section and I find the material so dense. Do we really have to know all that or did u have general questions for taxonomy, could u give an example thank you!!
So I actually didn't use Cliff's so I'm not sure how dense that section is. I did refer to Kaplan a couple times but honestly, I think Bootcamp prepared me the best for this. All the taxonomy that came up on my DATs, I saw it somewhere in one of the Bootcamp exams so no surprises for me! I made a list of all the funky names/taxa and tacked it on my wall. Every time a new one came up, I'd add it to the list. When I took down that list, I had at over a dozen on there (I epically mispelled "osteichthyes" as osteytches and still have no idea how to pronounce it...).

Last edited:
Congrats! Thanks so much for including tips on which areas specifically we should be focusing on while studying, that is always the most helpful! Enjoy being done :)
Thanks! And I'm just paying it forward because I got a lot of great advice, encouragement, and help from other SDNers and fellow pre-dents!

Congratulations! Did you take the 2007 or 2009 practice test? Was wondering if your scores were similar
Thank you! I did take the 2007 test but I took that as my very first practice test (like a diagnostic exam) before studying anything. I obviously didn't do well on it (I think I averaged like a 17 AA?). Actually, none of the practice exams I took (I did 9 total) were similar to my actual score, which is why I was extra surprised yet satisfied with my scores. I didn't want to pay $40 for an outdated exam when supposedly several changes were made since. I'm confused why ADA won't update their practice exams and why they're so expensive!?

Congratulations! Awesome scores and a great improvement from the 1st take. Enjoy your summer!
AH THANK YOU ARI!!! Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for your help and for providing such an awesome resource! I hope I didn't annoy you with all my questions; your prompt and thorough responses were incredible! Can't enjoy my summer quite yet (dental apps) but with this under my belt, I am definitely more relieved :]

Thanks! And I'm just paying it forward because I got a lot of great advice, encouragement, and help from other SDNers and fellow pre-dents!

Question: for taxonomy, were you asked questions like what group/kingdom is basidiomycota organized under? Or was it more general, like what domain would a slime mold belong to? Just trying to get a feel for how detailed I should take my studying of taxonomy

Well done =D thanks for the awesome breakdown! One question, CDP angle ranking and DAT bootcamp angle generator are quite different. Which one do you think is more similar to the real thing?

Hey! Did you use the destroyer at all?
Yes I did! I loved Destroyer and used it in tandem with Chad and Bootcamp. Questions were a little tough but necessary to learn and understand the material. I recommend getting it if you haven't already.

Question: for taxonomy, were you asked questions like what group/kingdom is basidiomycota organized under? Or was it more general, like what domain would a slime mold belong to? Just trying to get a feel for how detailed I should take my studying of taxonomy
I have no idea what a basidiomycota is...lol But wouldn't hurt to know that stuff (at least have read it once so if it comes up its not a total surprise). :)

Last edited:
vk223 said:
Well done =D thanks for the awesome breakdown! One question, CDP angle ranking and DAT bootcamp angle generator are quite different. Which one do you think is more similar to the real thing?
Thanks! So I think boot camp was most similar in terms of difficulty of the angles (each was off by 3-5 degrees) but the answer choices weren't as "nice" as boot camp. Meaning you could decide which is a the largest and smallest but there are multiple answers with the same thing, none of that "only answer choice A has the biggest therefore it must be right" sort of thing. :/ But use bootcamps random angle generator! I used that every single day for a month which helped me spot angles easily and quickly! :)

Last edited: