Junior Undergrad Year, Chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so my freshman year of undergrad, I MESSED UP BAD. I got a 2.00 cum. I started to make up for it by getting a 4.0 cum for the summer of my freshman/sophmore year and during the entire Fall/Spring 09-10 term. Now i am about to enter my junior year, and just started prepping for a May 2011 MCAT test date. I have taken a practice MCAT 2 times and scored 35P and 37Q.I have no research, and have about 40 hours of volunteer work at a hospital and about 100 hours volunteering for a nonprofit humanitarian charity. What are my chances of getting into a school such as MSUCOM, MSU school of Medicine, wayne state university med, and oakland university med? I am an ohio resident.

Members don't see this ad.

In reference to your chances at allopathic schools:

So, presumably you have a cGPA a bit better than a 3.0 at this point and might have a 3.3 by this time next year? Would you plan to wait until the end of senior year to apply, by which time you might be in the 3.5 range? This move would etter your chances.

You can see from this grid what your chances would be for an allopathic acceptance with various cGPA and MCAT combinations.
Aggregate of all applicants: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf This data would assume optimal ECs, good LORs, and applying to a reasonable number of schools, which would be more than four schools.

You can see that a 35/3.3 give you a 51% chance. A 3.5/35, a 68% chance. And a 3.5/37, a ~74% chance.

In reference to your chances at allopathic schools:

So, presumably you have a cGPA a bit better than a 3.0 at this point and might have a 3.3 by this time next year? Would you plan to wait until the end of senior year to apply, by which time you might be in the 3.5 range? This move would etter your chances.

You can see from this grid what your chances would be for an allopathic acceptance with various cGPA and MCAT combinations.
Aggregate of all applicants: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf This data would assume optimal ECs, good LORs, and applying to a reasonable number of schools, which would be more than four schools.

You can see that a 35/3.3 give you a 51% chance. A 3.5/35, a 68% chance. And a 3.5/37, a ~74% chance.
The way that I calculate it, is that I CAN have a 3.45 at the end of my fall semester as a senior. I was planning on using this and just applying with this cGPA. And I just landed a volunteer position at a D.O.'s office (already have shadowed numerous M.D.s). With a good MCAT score and some good LOR (LOTS of family doctors) I hope I can get into OU Med or MSUCOM/MED. Thanks for the advice!