Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Junior year (undergrad) course load

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Hopeful20, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Hopeful20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'll be taking Ochem 1 and 2 next year and given what I've heard about the course, I'm planning a light course load. I planned on taking one upper level BIO class + Ochem I and 2 other misc classes to fulfill my liberal arts core.

What I'm worried about is that if I follow this schedule, I won't be taking classes like microbiology, biochemistry, and immunology until my senior year.
    Is this okay? Or would d schools frown upon me not taking those until my senior year?

I'm worried that they would want to see those classes on my transcript when I apply.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I'd try and make sure your fall senior year is a lighter course load. Many SDN'ers and myself will agree attending interviewsdefinately takes a toll on your grades. I'd rather have a tougher junior year and a more relaxed fall senior semester... IMO

4. Hopeful20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In regards to upper level biology courses, is it common for these to be taken in the senior?
    Or should I try to shove in a microbio or biochem class with Ochem II?

5. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Your biochemistry should require organic II as a prereq. when are you taking physiology?

6. Hopeful20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'll be taking general physiology next semester (sophomore, spring semester) along with cell biology.

And I think you have a great point. I think you are right about the biochem pre-requisite, meaning I'll probably settle with Ochem II + microbiology, along with 2 other courses.
    Does that sound fairly do-able?

7. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Sounds excellent, around 16 credits...

8. Spin

Spin me right round baby
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree, this sounds good. As far as having a difficult senior year, if you can take any classes online I'd try to save as many of those as you can for the fall semester of your senior year because if you get your application in early that's when you'll be interviewing the most. If you have to take any science labs, unless your school has a generous make-up schedule for missing labs, definitely don't take them in your senior year fall semester. Aside from that, just do whatever works best for you. Lots of people who apply to dental schools aren't even science majors, so they don't have much more than the bare minimum in terms of upper division science classes and they still get in!