Junior Year Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to begin my junior year at undergrad and am a Genetics major. My science GPA is only about a 3.0 due to physics, math and the second semester of Organic chemistry. I was wondering if I should really load up on the upper level biology/genetic classes to boost my science GPA and also whether I still have a good chance at getting accepted to a medical school.

My other qualm was figuring out how to fit in an internship, MCAT studying/taking and hospital volunteering all within this critical year. When should the MCATS be taken? If the usual time is in the summer isn't that also when I should be volunteering at a hospital? As one can see I feel a bit overwhelmed thinking about my future prospects right now and would immensely appreciate advice and help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no rule that says you have to apply to med school after your junior year. It may take you more than a year to get your BCMP GPA up to 3.5 or so. Don't take such a heavy class load that you risk getting Bs or lower. You need a 4.0 each semester to offset your previous grades. Take your time and do it right, even if it means a fifth year in college. That will give you more time to get in the critical clinical experience you lack. In case you are not as successful as hoped at getting great grades, you'd need a much higher MCAT (no "s" at the end) score to be seriously considered by allopathic (MD) medical schools. Begin your hospital volunteering ASAP, and don't just do this in the summer months.

You might also look in the pre-osteo (DO physician) forum at their "What are my Chances?" thread. You wouldn't need to do as much damage control on your GPA to be considered, but your GPA right now is low for them too.

Take your MCAT when you are consistently scoring 30 or above on practice tests. Consider taking a formal prep course beforehand.