Junquiera or Wheaters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiologyman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i need some expert advice which do you think would be better for histology the junqueira or wheaters text and atlas and why or are they comparably equal i have junquiera but wanted to know weather i should get wheaters becasue it might have some info that is missing in junquiera?????????

Members don't see this ad.

nope, you are fine with junquiera....i'd even argue that it has more info than wheaters. i prefer wheaters tho however b/c (1) it's prettier (2) it's less dense...althought you'd prob get more points in scrabble for spelling junquiera than wheater... :laugh:

i find junquiera confusing at first but what can i do? all of my lessons are in there.haha. and it starts from the really basic principles. based on the wheater's book that i have, it's more on histopathology rather than histology itself. more on pathologic basis of some disorders...it really depends on the kind of info you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
i find junquiera confusing at first but what can i do? all of my lessons are in there.haha. and it starts from the really basic principles. based on the wheater's book that i have, it's more on histopathology rather than histology itself. more on pathologic basis of some disorders...it really depends on the kind of info you need.

I would agree with the bolded above. Wheater's worked fine for me because our module notes were fairly comprehensive, so I used it solely for the figures. Only downside to Wheater's is that you have to get used to the British way of spelling things like "colour" and "oesophagus." =P

For me I would go with Ross 5th edition. I read the thing cover to cover and learned everything you need to know about Histo.

I swore by Wheater's...It was an absolute must for Histo...Junqiera had an online book that was i complete waste of time...I basically used my syllabus and Wheater's atlas to get through the class

ok so i checked out the ross book and its like twice the length of the juniquiera book so is that much depth worth it???????

I think it depends on what you are looking for in the book. I am a big fan of Ross as a text and atlas. I think Wheater's would suffice as an atlas, but leaves a little to be desired in terms of a text.

ross and pawlina. you dont need an atlas.

Junquiera is a bit hard to follow in the beginning because every sentence seems to be so important but after you complete a few chapters, you will definitely find it much easier. I used it and it worked wonders.....just passed my histology final!!! :)

I swore by Wheater's...It was an absolute must for Histo...Junqiera had an online book that was i complete waste of time...I basically used my syllabus and Wheater's atlas to get through the class

Exactly what I did.

i know i'm not even in med school yet but a friend of mine has wheater's 4th edition. would i be at a disadvantage to purchase that from her for a pretty sweet price, instead of buying the 5th edition?