Jury summons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you solo docs gotten completely excused from jury duty? It's not impossible but kind of complicated for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any of you solo docs gotten completely excused from jury duty? It's not impossible but kind of complicated for me.
Yes. Told them I was a very busy onc in town and didn't have locums coverage available on those dates and a month later a letter came in the mail dismissing me from it

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Told them I was a very busy onc in town and didn't have locums coverage available on those dates and a month later a letter came in the mail dismissing me from it
It hasn't happened to me, yet, but the last time I got summoned was waaaay back in medical school and I basically said a similar thing (which was true), that the dates overlapped with requirements with the school (I don't remember if it was an exam or rotations, something like that) and it got dismissed.

This is a very state specific thing though, I've heard tales of states being very rigid in this situation.

Interestingly (sort of), this was going to be a big problem a couple of years back when my spouse got summoned and we didn't have a childcare plan.

But the summons came in like, December 2019 for a date in...the spring...of 2020.

Long story short we've moved a few times since then so...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure I can get out of it once, but were you permanently dismissed? If I get it postponed it just means they'll ask again in a couple months.

Just tell the judge that the US rad onc professional society deems it illegal and unsafe for you to leave the building during the day while patients are treated. A very truthful statement.

Reactions: 6 users
Just tell the judge that the US rad onc professional society deems it illegal and unsafe for you to leave the building during the day while patients are treated. A very truthful statement.
Yes. But if you’re on your best behavior daddy Michalski might write you a permission slip.

Reactions: 2 users
This reminds me of a story my Rad Onc chair told me.

Chair: “I can’t take off for jury duty. I have 100 patients on treatment and I have to supervise residents and administer my entire department at [institution].”

Judge: “Do you take vacations?”

Chair: “. . . yes.”

Judge: “Then you can serve on the jury. Next!”

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users