Just bought TPR Hyperlearning Books... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocimy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who has taken the Princeton Review course, could post the class schedule or your own study schedule? For example, what what weeks covered what, when did you take practice tests, and how many hours a day did you study ~ I wanted to take the course, but it was just too expensive. So I bought the books and want to recreate the course in my bedroom lol.

Thank you all!!

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone who has taken the Princeton Review course, could post the class schedule or your own study schedule? For example, what what weeks covered what, when did you take practice tests, and how many hours a day did you study ~ I wanted to take the course, but it was just too expensive. So I bought the books and want to recreate the course in my bedroom lol.

Thank you all!!

can you go onto the TPR website and see the calenders for courses that are currently enrolling? just follow those.

Not what you're asking for, but I was really unimpressed with the course tbh. It's basically regurgitation of what's in the books. I stopped going to the classes bc it was a waste of time; a lot of the stuff they go over you can only teach yourself by doing problems, and there's a good amount of useless information. I'm using examkrackers now and using the TPR science workbook for practice problems. Also, their verbal technique is bleh.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you all!!

IMHO, it's not the class schedule, but the books that's helpful. I think most people make the mistake of thinking it's the class that's going to make you ace the MCAT...it's really the work you do on your own that will determine your score.

If you feel you need a schedule, consider going through the official content list for the MCAT (posted on the AAMC website) and coming up with your own schedule based on your own strengths and weaknesses (that, or tweak the TPR schedules according to your own knowledge base). Skimming the official "fair game" topics is worthwhile in itself...it's incredibly detailed, and you might be surprised what is on or not on the exam (for instance, I don't know if it's changed, but when I took it a ton of orgo topics were NOT on the exam, like alkene and alkyne reactions).

I signed up for the course but by the end only went to classes on topics I felt I needed extra help in, and instead focused on the books and questions. I read through the subject books a few times, trying to make sure I understood the material, and then slogged through the entire science question book. It's doing the questions (and reading the answers) that will be the highest yield. Reading through the answers is key--make sure you understand why the correct answer is the right answer, and what makes the other choices wrong. For the last few weeks before the real thing, I took official practice tests (in conditions as close to the real thing as possible). I did very well (99th percentile), and I totally attribute my score to 1) that giant science question book and 2) doing practice tests in realistic conditions.

As far as hours per day to study, as many as you can do. To the brink of death if necessary

Agreed.

IMHO, it's not the class schedule, but the books that's helpful. I think most people make the mistake of thinking it's the class that's going to make you ace the MCAT...it's really the work you do on your own that will determine your score.
I did very well (99th percentile), and I totally attribute my score to 1) that giant science question book and 2) doing practice tests in realistic conditions.

Agreed with all of the above. I also scored in the 99th percentile and I don't think it is coincidence or anything like that. TPR has a good set, if you put the time and effort into it then you will be pleased with your results.

BTW, the TPR Science Workbook was some of the best practice I had for this test so definitely do those passages.

Also, wouldn't you be betraying EKs by getting TPR salty? I should report you to Jon.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Agreed.

Agreed with all of the above. I also scored in the 99th percentile and I don't think it is coincidence or anything like that. TPR has a good set, if you put the time and effort into it then you will be pleased with your results.

BTW, the TPR Science Workbook was some of the best practice I had for this test so definitely do those passages.

Also, wouldn't you be betraying EKs by getting TPR salty? I should report you to Jon.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Thanks for comment. I went through EKs and wanted a more indepth review. I just couldn't let go of salty ~