Just considering options

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by sketcham, Apr 23, 2007.

1. sketcham

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm 28, married, no kids. I always wanted to be an MD but got sidetracked by life and did a nursing degree. I like the patient care etc, but I needed more challenge. I thought...I already have a nursing degree why not improve on that? So, I got an NP and have been practicing for about 2 years. The problem is that I still want to know/do more.
    I still need several pre-reqs so I will start classes this summer at a local 4 year university.
    Everything seems to be going ok, my spouse is supportive, I think I would like it.....but then I start speaking with a friend of mine who is a CRNA, loves his job, is very challenged and gets a great salary. He made me see what a great option that would be.

So.....my quandary: MD with 8 yrs (+1 1/2 of pre-reqs) or CRNA with 2.5 yrs (1 extra pre-req).

I can't say for certain whether or not I would finish the CRNA program and still want more, but the time involved seems so much more palatable (since I already have 7.5 years of previous education). I know the time involved shouldn't play a major factor in my decision, but it really does.

Any thoughts?:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There appears to be a pattern in your path. The main question for you, I think, isn't one related to perception of time economy per se, but would be, "would you still want an even greater challenge after getting your CRNA (one that being a CRNA couldn't give you)?" This begs the question, "what defines a 'challenging' healthcare role for you in your everday practice that you will be consistantly happy with?" If after searching yourself and feeling out/trying out both roles as completely as you can, you think this means practicing at the level of a physician, there really isn't a better alternative, even if that alternative appears to save you the additional years of education it takes to become a physician. It would be easier to become a physician sooner rather than after spending a few years obtaining your CRNA, practicing in that role for awhile, and then realizing you want to become a physician. So while you think you are saving yourself a few years in school, you may, in fact, not be doing that. Thus, while logical and strategic considerations are important and certainly need to be considered, don't forget to also honor what your heart truly desires. Don't fall into the trap of going down a path that isn't completely optimal for you just because you think it will save you some time, because ultimately, I think this will be the more difficult and time consuming path. Follow the path that has heart for you.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Whatever you decide, you probably should make this your last step. A couple of letters after your name is prestigious, a lot is a bad pattern. If you did the CRNA and then turned your focus to MD, I suspect a lot of MD programs would worry that you still lacked focus on what you want to do in life. I think you ought to spend some time to figure out where you are going before taking the next step.