Just curious...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Since this forum is mainly for med students (I'm a vet student), I was wondering how your research is structured as a student. Are you working on your own or with a professor, PhD, MD or some combination of the above? Are you all MD/PhD or are some of you just pursuing your MD?

I'm working on some clinical research this summer, studying scintigraphy in cats and dogs to discover ureteral obstructions. I didn't think I'd like research, but as it turns out, I'm loving it. (Only some vet students do research prior to professional school, and it doesn't seem to play as important of a role in getting into professional school as it does in human medicine. More emphasis is placed on clinical experience, as that's where most vets will end up.)

Thanks!

Also, if this has been discussed before, could someone point me to the thread?

Members don't see this ad.

...Are you working on your own or with a professor, PhD, MD or some combination of the above?...
It depends on your level of involvement and your training/experience.

A lot of kids in my class essentially have the PI (of any stripe) tell them what experiement to run, or what data to collect. I've got a MS, so I designed my own experiements and I put in my own IRB, with minimal mentor oversight. There's PhDs in my class who can do everything on their own, including writing grants.

...Are you all MD/PhD or are some of you just pursuing your MD?...
Just? Just an MD? Hmp.

I'm kidding. This website is for MDs and MD students (and DOs), but anyone can parcipate here.

..I'm working on some clinical research this summer, studying scintigraphy in cats and dogs to discover ureteral obstructions. I didn't think I'd like research, but as it turns out, I'm loving it. (Only some vet students do research prior to professional school, and it doesn't seem to play as important of a role in getting into professional school as it does in human medicine. More emphasis is placed on clinical experience, as that's where most vets will end up.)...
A majority of the research done out there by MDs will be clinical in nature (does X drug or Y do better in the setting of Z?), so what you're saying isn't that surprising. Also, schools want MD applicants to know what they're getting into, and clinical experience plays into this.

...Also, if this has been discussed before, could someone point me to the thread?
I don't know if it has been discussed elswhere, but you can use the search function (right side of the blue bar at the top).

Just? Just an MD? Hmp.

I'm kidding. This website is for MDs and MD students (and DOs), but anyone can parcipate here.

I knew I'd get slammed for that! :p j/k I'm JUST getting my DVM (but possibly an MBA, too).

Good to know that stuff. There are definitely a few people in the vet boards who have masters and have done their own thing. There are others in DVM/PhD programs.

Both the projects I applied for were clinical in nature (the other one I applied for was a long-acting Fentanyl formulation in dogs and a MAC-BAR study with an anesthesiologist), but there are others in the same program I'm in doing bench work and epidemiological stuff. (One is doing DNA extraction and another is tracking MRSA here in TN.)

Thanks for the answers!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your level of involvement and your training/experience.

A lot of kids in my class essentially have the PI (of any stripe) tell them what experiement to run, or what data to collect. I've got a MS, so I designed my own experiements and I put in my own IRB, with minimal mentor oversight.

RxnMan, Out of curiosity how did you go about selecting your area of study and your PI? I'm about in the same boat as you - I could probably get an experiment running on my own.

I totally lucked out in that my school assigns us advisors, and mine had a similar background and research interest.

But that doesn't help you.

Take a look through the FAQ. My tips for finding a PI are there. For you, if you want greater autonomy, then be sure to be clear about it when talking to prospective PIs.

I totally lucked out in that my school assigns us advisors, and mine had a similar background and research interest.

But that doesn't help you.

Take a look through the FAQ. My tips for finding a PI are there. For you, if you want greater autonomy, then be sure to be clear about it when talking to prospective PIs.

Thanks RxnMan.