Just decided on OB/GYN and I need assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamier2

SDN Hillbilly Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I swore that I'd never go into OB/GYN but once I got into the rotation I am amazed at just how much I love this field.

I'd like to know what I should be doing to find out what residency programs fit me - I intend on practicing OB/GYN in a fairly small city in rural Kentucky when I'm done, so I'm not quite so interested in REI/Gyn-Onc and the sub-specialties. I'm really a small town kind of person, and I really liked some of the community based programs I looked at in other fields. My main concern is that I want to feel well trained when I leave residency, whether the program is community or university based. I'm also married and would like to have something of a life to share with my wife.

I was sure I wanted to do other things before, so I never even looked into this field at all. I'm just starting my search of residency programs and I'd love to hear what some of you thought of a few programs I have found on Frieda and from recommendations from faculty.

1. UK in Lexington, KY. I am a student here but I'd like to get other people's opinions of the program (that aren't affiliated with the program). I really feel like the residents and attendings I have spoken with so far have been honest about the program, but I'd still like to hear what other people think. So far I like this program mainly based on location, but that really isn't so important in the long run.

2. Memorial Health in Savannah, GA. I heard about this program from a classmate who is considering the program. I don't really know much about it other than what is on their website and freida.

3. St. John's Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis, MO. I had one attending tell me today that she really thought highly of this program. I'd really like to hear more about this one.

If anyone has anything to share about any of these or other programs that you think might be a fit for me, please share. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jamie

Members don't see this ad.

While I have no experience with the program, I've heard excellent things with the residency program in Greenville, SC.
Wright State University in Dayton, OH is nice. Community has low cost of living and the residents were so very friendly during my interview. I actually ranked them a bit lower than I should have because I really wanted a larger University program.
Let's see...Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, MA is incredible. The hospital is community-based yet affiliated with Tufts. The campus/hospital is the most beautiful place I interviewed. I've heard of the program referred to as a 'sleeper' program, meaning it's sort of small and tucked away yet offers excellent resources and wonderful training.
University of Tennessee Knoxville offers a smaller, community atmosphere and Knoxville is an affordable city in which to live. They have a great benign gyn service but are lacking in gyn onc.
Hope any of this information provides a good starting point for you. And good luck!

I am kind in the same boat as you. I too am from a small town in KY and will probably go back. I interviewed at UK, St. John's Mercy, U. of Louisville, UT-Knoxville, Bethesda North and Good Samaritan in Cincinnnati, Marshall U., Indiana.
St. John's was really strong-it was kind of like an OBGYN focused hospital.
UK didn't seem that strong and I really wanted to go there because it is closest to home.
In the end I ranked Bethesda North #1 because I liked the atmosphere and you do High Risk and Urogyn at Good Sam which has Mickey Karram and is really busy in high risk.
Please PM me if you have any more questions. I'd like to know what town you are from-we might know some of the same people.