Just Finished DAT 7/31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pajamasam9090

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT - 20
QR - 17
RC - 19
BIO - 18
GC - 19
OC - 21
TS - 19
AA - 19

GPA=3.6 sGPA=3.5

Applied to: University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan, New York University, Temple, Nova, New Jersey, Boston and Chicago. Also out of these schools do you guys know which ones want an unofficial score faxed to them? If so where do I get those fax numbers?

I know my scores are average-ish, so I'm wondering what are my chances at these schools.

BIO - I actually had a lot of heredity questions and barely anything on plants/biological diversity which was alright, but kind of annoying since I was stressing about those the most. A few questions were kind of random, especially the histology slide. Kaplan BB, Destroyer, Cliff AP

GC - I thought I had a lot more calculations that conceptual questions which once again frustrated me. Nothing that I haven't seen before, but I'm sure I made a lot of stupid/rushed mistakes. Kaplan BB Destroyer, Textbook.

OC - I thought I would have gotten a higher score in this section. All the reactions were pretty basic and the concepts were also pretty basic. There was one cNMR which was kind of confusing, but other than that, pretty straighforeward. Destroyer seems like they try to prepare you for all the exceptions, which is alright, but the real test they don't try to trick you that much. Kaplan BB, and Destroyer

PAT - Not bad, Use CDP and you'll be alright. The sections were all pretty close except for holepunching which was WAY easier.

RC - I got a passage on floating bridges, contaminated water, and the spinal cord. All of them except bridges was easy for search and destroy. I had around 25 minutes for the last 15 questions (bridges) and nearly ran out of time.

QR - Eh I skipped a bunch and did the simple ones... and then only had like 5 minutes to see the ones I simply made an educated guess on... you need A LOT of luck in this section... time limit is wayyy to short.

Any input would be great... I'm tough so don't sugar coat anything. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those are some solid scores, if you apply smart you will be drilling teeth in no time.

Good luck in the future.

PAT - 20
QR - 17
RC - 19
BIO - 18
GC - 19
OC - 21
TS - 19
AA - 19

GPA=3.6 sGPA=3.5

Applied to: University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan, New York University, Temple, Nova, New Jersey, Boston and Chicago. Also out of these schools do you guys know which ones want an unofficial score faxed to them? If so where do I get those fax numbers?

I know my scores are average-ish, so I'm wondering what are my chances at these schools.

BIO - I actually had a lot of heredity questions and barely anything on plants/biological diversity which was alright, but kind of annoying since I was stressing about those the most. A few questions were kind of random, especially the histology slide. Kaplan BB, Destroyer, Cliff AP

GC - I thought I had a lot more calculations that conceptual questions which once again frustrated me. Nothing that I haven't seen before, but I'm sure I made a lot of stupid/rushed mistakes. Kaplan BB Destroyer, Textbook.

OC - I thought I would have gotten a higher score in this section. All the reactions were pretty basic and the concepts were also pretty basic. There was one cNMR which was kind of confusing, but other than that, pretty straighforeward. Destroyer seems like they try to prepare you for all the exceptions, which is alright, but the real test they don't try to trick you that much. Kaplan BB, and Destroyer

PAT - Not bad, Use CDP and you'll be alright. The sections were all pretty close except for holepunching which was WAY easier.

RC - I got a passage on floating bridges, contaminated water, and the spinal cord. All of them except bridges was easy for search and destroy. I had inutes for the last 15 questions (bridges) and nearly ran out of time.

QR - Eh I skipped a bunch and did the simple ones... and then only had like 5 minutes to see the ones I simply made an educated guess on... you need A LOT of luck in this section... time limit is wayyy to short.

Any input would be great... I'm tough so don't sugar coat anything. Thanks.

Good job. I think you should call the schools individualy and ask if they accept the unnofficial scores and then get their fax number that way. Good luck.

i think you will get it for sure..your GPA is prety high plus scores are bit over average so that good.
- Im writing my DAT on sept 1st. Im practicing the exact same things that you did. But my GPA is not that high so I need way higher scores.
- For Bio - What type of heredity questions? (ws it more physiology or ecology stuff).
- For QR - Which sources did you use?
- For Reading - again which sources did you use?
- For PAT - is it Crack DAT PAT you are talking about?

Thanks and Good Luck for future.

- for the fax numbers, if you go to your AADSAS application and look under designated schools - that should give you the info on all the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
navi654,

The heredity questions weren't too bad, it's just that getting 4 out of the 40 questions was kind of weird. One was a square, the other a definition, and the other two you kind of had to figure out exactly what they wanted. It was just frustrating knowing that I tried to get the basics of everything (most specifically plants and biological diversity), and didn't get a single question on those when I could have been more prepared for the other questions. But since bio is such a large area of study, there's nothing that anyone can do about it.

So for Bio I really, really, really recommend getting Cliffs AP BIO. Since you're taking it Sept 1, I would try reading through the entire thing in a day or two taking notes on things that are extremely foreign to you, then hitting DAT destroyer's bio section and whenever you don't know the answer, flip to Cliffs and read/take notes on that section again.

RC I literally just did the three topscore tests. I was kind of bummed since my 9 passages I got in topscore were significantly easier to search and destroy than the actual exam...HOWEVER I still strongly believe that search and destroy is the best strategy here.

QR Ughhhh I took all my math early in my undergrad and at community college so this one I was the most afraid of. I used DAT destroy and Kaplan BB. Destroyer was great and I was getting a lot of questions right, but when I took my first practice test, you realize you don't have all the time in the world to do the questions and I had to straight up guess on 10 problems ( literally marking C for all of them). The other practice tests, if I saw a question I even had to think for a second how to set up I skipped. This allows you to have a legitimate chance on getting all the "easy" ones rather than having to rush the ones you could get right if you had an extra minute or two.

CDP is crack DAT PAT. I got the 5 test version which was OK... I probably should have splurged and got the 10 test version. The only way to get good at this section is to practice, practice, and learn from the mistakes you make. This is huge, you can take all 10 tests, but if you don't understand where you're making mistakes and try to correct them, you're just wasting your time. Also, try to understand the tic-tac-toe method for hole punching, I was going from 10/15's to 13 and 14/15's.

Ummm so like i mentioned earlier all the study materials were: Cliffs AP bio, Kaplan BB, Destroyer, CDP, and a chem text book.

Good luck buddy, it feels GREAT when it's over

consistent scores. good job. i took the dat exactly 1 year before you to the day

great scores, congrats!

what is the tic-tac-toe method you mentioned above for hole punching? i've never heard of it... thanks

U have a very similar score as mine.
I got 23, 20, 17, 18, 19, 19, TA19, AA19