Just finished the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapa808

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished the take-at-home GRE and wanted to offer my services to anyone else thinking about taking the online GRE.

If anyone has any questions on the process, I'll answer your question(s) as well as I can!

Members don't see this ad.

hey! How did your experience go? How did you do on it? Did you feel like the at home version was harder than the testing center?

hey! How did your experience go? How did you do on it? Did you feel like the at home version was harder than the testing center?

Hey!

Sorry for the late response. There were some technical difficulties on their end so I started about thirty minutes later but other than that I did not even notice I was being proctored to be honest. In the set up, they tell you exactly what to do so don't worry about it. You also can't see them so that helped me focus. They do require you to stay in frame which is understandable and not very restricting. I've never taken it at a testing center so I can't give you an accurate comparison but it was nice not having to worry about the commute or the testing conditions (too cold/hot, etc.) If I had any questions, the proctor answered me immediately. Overall, I had a pleasant experience with the proctor and even made a few jokes with them, which helped calm me down.

There were slight differences, such as having to use a laminated paper and marker for any notes (no paper allowed) but it isn't that much of a transition once you start using it. When I used my ten minute break to use the restroom, I had to do the safety thing again (show the room, glasses, forearms, etc.) but that only took a minute.

As for the score, I got a 158V 160Q 5.5AWA

My advice would be just to practice with a marker and laminated paper/paper protector (get used to having to erase everything after every problem), bring a snack, and just skip problems you're unsure about.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! how long did you study for the GRE, I take it on 2/20/21 and I've studied for about a month

hi! how long did you study for the GRE, I take it on 2/20/21 and I've studied for about a month
Hello!

I studied about a month and a half, probably averaging about 2-3 hours a day. Just know that I took it when we were in lockdown and I could not work or shadow so I had a lot of time that others may not have now.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!