Just got my orders...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FliteSurgn

This space for rent.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my orders to return on active duty. I'm surprised that they're out already since the AF has continually said that it would be the end of April before anything was finalized.

The Air Force has about 20 bases that currently offer positions for general surgeons. My preference sheet (where I got to rank where I would prefer to go) only went down to my 15th choice. I guess that wasn't deep enough because I got assigned to a base that didn't make my top 15 out of the 20 possible bases.

Drum roll, please...It looks like I'll be spending the next 2 years...sitting on my hands...at Sheppard AFB.

I didn't even know exactly where it was until I looked it up on the net today. It's 150 miles northwest of Dallas on the Texas/Oklahoma border. Now I remember why it didn't make my top 15. Of course, they say that I shouldn't buy a house or make any plans...The assignment can change up until the day that you actually sign into the base.

I need a beer. :(

Members don't see this ad.

If you would like to know more about Sheppard, PM me.....

Sally

Ouch, sorry about the location! It might not be so bad though, just buy a really really fast car so you can make it to the nearest city in a decent amount of time.

I was assigned to Sheppard for a while. If you have any questions about the area or otherwise, don't hesitate to ask. Sorry to hear that you were assigned to a duty station that you didn't even rank.

Cyndi