Just got rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmuhooligan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got rejected from Duquense, which was porbably the best chance I had at getting in. I feel so crushed, i figured i had great stats, 3.81 GPA, vast research experience, a grant, first author on a presentation at SRCD, graduated in 3 years, but i had rough GRE scores of 1020, and i knew that would probably keep me out, but i was hoping that my other qualities would sorta make up for that! well im glad alot of you are all getting invitations! goodluck!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know...my GRE was high, and my other stats were similar, and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my application process...

I think more important than GREs are research experience and specific interests geared toward the program you're applying to.

I also feel that people who've taken time off after undergrad tend to fare better in this process. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well so far I'm at 8 invites, 1 acceptance. Minimal research experience (7 months), moderate GRE (1240) and GPA of 3.9. Some of the somewhat top ones haven't invited me. My GRE scores wouldn't ecven be considered at places like Madison, Michigan, etc.

Hang in there! 1 rejection. How many schools did you apply to? It sounds like you have plenty great stats, worse case scenario you can take a year and work in the field and retake the GRE and then you will get into your choice od school.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Hang in there! 1 rejection. How many schools did you apply to? It sounds like you have plenty great stats, worse case scenario you can take a year and work in the field and retake the GRE and then you will get into your choice od school.
i only applied to 4 phd programs and 1 masters because i knew that my GRE scores would limit me severly, and it seems like i wont get invited to any of the school i applied to even though i still have 2 open, st. louis and montana

Did the professor you applied with tell you it was your low GRE scores? I would call him/her and ask for feedback regarding your application (provided you can do this calmly and politely). I suspect there was another qualified candidate that the prof liked beter. You can always come and apply in Canada - most schools simply require that you write it and don't care too much about your score :)
If it makes you feel any better there is no relationship between your GRE score and your progress in grad school.

lazure said:
Did the professor you applied with tell you it was your low GRE scores? I would call him/her and ask for feedback regarding your application (provided you can do this calmly and politely). I suspect there was another qualified candidate that the prof liked beter. You can always come and apply in Canada - most schools simply require that you write it and don't care too much about your score :)
If it makes you feel any better there is no relationship between your GRE score and your progress in grad school.
well at this school, Duquesne, they dont exactly work on a true mentor/student relationship, but no they faculty i said i was interested never contacted me back, i just got the old generic were sorry to inform you that you have not been accepted rejection letter from the dean, but i have to assume its my GRE because at least i think everything else is pretty good, i looked at some Canadian schools, but the ones i liked required a masters, for example U of Toronto, and the others didnt seem like they gave much financial support.

I think its good to be realistic but don't give up too soon! I know its really hard to get rejected from the place you really want to go/had the best chance of getting in to but you never know, your reach school could end up being the one you get an interview with.

Anyway if this year turns out not to be the year, try to not get too discouraged, although I know its easier said then done. Try and get some more research experience under your belt and take a GRE class if you can to get your scores up just a bit.

Anyway good luck with everything and don't let this get you to down, it will all work out eventually even though its really difficult now.

Paendrag said:
Bummer. Take a GRE prep course or go to medical school..

Med school would involve significantly more work than retaking the GRE, assuming no background in hard science.

cmuhooligan:

I may have spoken to you on another forum (I'm Damo). Anyway, I have an interview with Duquesne in a couple of weeks. If you really want to go there and are planning to try again next year, I would be happy to give you what info I can after the interview. Please PM me.

But from what you've said, it seems like you'd be a much better match for one of the more "mainstream" programs you applied for. So please don't give up hope on the others yet!

I know that Duquesne takes a lot of non-psych majors (esp. philosophy/physics). They may not have a set cut-off for GRES, but the averages are quite high there. The essay explaining why you want to go there is also treated very seriously. (I got this info unofficially, by asking students). As you probably know, they specialize in qualitative research...is that what you're really looking for?

Anyway, I'm sorry that you didn't get an interview...But just wondering if you'd really be happy there anyway.

Winnie:

yeah i am aware of their qualitative research, and i wasnt that sure about it, in fact my advisors told me to stay away from it, but i wanted to give it a try anyways, and i didnt really know there GRE scores were that high, because they didnt have any disclosure data, but i contacted them and they told me that a "competetive applicant has a 3.5 and 1100 GRE" which i thought wasnt that bad, and considering they dont get that many applications i thought i had a decent chance. so it may have been a blesing in disguise!

cmuhooligan said:
Winnie:

yeah i am aware of their qualitative research, and i wasnt that sure about it, in fact my advisors told me to stay away from it, but i wanted to give it a try anyways, and i didnt really know there GRE scores were that high, because they didnt have any disclosure data, but i contacted them and they told me that a "competetive applicant has a 3.5 and 1100 GRE" which i thought wasnt that bad, and considering they dont get that many applications i thought i had a decent chance. so it may have been a blesing in disguise!

Yeah, that might just be the case...You really seem to have a lot going for you as a candidate. I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Paendrag ;) If you don't get in this year, and you study hard for the GREs, it's hard to see how you could miss out on your choice of places next time.

but the ones i liked required a masters, for example U of Toronto, and the others didnt seem like they gave much financial support.

Which program did you look at? Are you sure about the required Master's ?
I study in Toronto and did my undergrad at UofT so I am somewhat familiar with the programs available in Ontario and Toronto. Are you looking for experimental or clinical programs?

Cmu......don't give up hope..if it was meant to be it will happen! My backup plan was to try master's programs first.
Are you planning on doing research forever or doing practice?
If it's research only, then I would look at other programs....many programs (like social, developmental, etc.) had research areas which overlap with clinical.

Missouri-St. LOuis started contacting on Friday, but they did tell me that it was going to take a full week to contact everyone.

lazure said:
but the ones i liked required a masters, for example U of Toronto, and the others didnt seem like they gave much financial support.

Which program did you look at? Are you sure about the required Master's ?
I study in Toronto and did my undergrad at UofT so I am somewhat familiar with the programs available in Ontario and Toronto. Are you looking for experimental or clinical programs?
i could have sworn it was either U of toronto or maybe York that required a masters, and i am looking at clinical programs yes.

twiggers said:
Cmu......don't give up hope..if it was meant to be it will happen! My backup plan was to try master's programs first.
Are you planning on doing research forever or doing practice?
If it's research only, then I would look at other programs....many programs (like social, developmental, etc.) had research areas which overlap with clinical.

Missouri-St. LOuis started contacting on Friday, but they did tell me that it was going to take a full week to contact everyone.
actually i planned on practicing and teaching and researching, a combo of all three, so yeah i need and want to go into a clinical program, and just checking is that university of missouri@ st, louis that has started or St. louis university?

i could have sworn it was either U of toronto or maybe York that required a masters, and i am looking at clinical programs yes.

Neither of these require a Master's. However, The U of Toronto is strongly experimental and they do not have an APA/CPA accredited clinical program - but they do have a "hush hush have to be on the inside" clinical program. York has a Clinical-Developmental stream that is focused on children, teens and families and separate Adult Clinical stream. Both have good reputations, particularly the CD program. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Don't worry about 1 rejection. My undergrad GPA was atrocious it was only a 2.9 and my GRE was horrific 1050. I drank for my first two years rather than studying. So I went to a master's program, licensure track (60credit) published several articles and maintained a decent GPA 3.9. Although, it was the first question that they asked me in my interview… "So, why are you GRE's so low?" You should have a good answer for that one… You too can be a doctor with a C average… or president.