Just got the Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hreiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 35 year old Physician Assistant with a wife that is in Pharmacy School, that became interested in going to a PharmD program myself. So, I applied. Have a BS in Chemistry and a Masters in Health science. Graduate GPA on 100+ hours of medical courses around 3.3-3.4. Got some kind of stomach flu and didn't sleep the night before the test, but I think I did ok ,except for math, not bad for an old dude?

Verbal 92
Biology 86
Reading 97
Math 50 Needed a Calculator and about 1 hour longer
Chemistry 63
Composite 87

The last time I saw calculus or real chemistry was close to ten years ago. Just hoping they take more stock in the composite. Thought about studying a little and taking it again, should be able to bring math and chemistry up to at least 70-75, probably bump composite over 90; but don't think that would help me get in for 2007. Had the interview and was told did well but need PCAT Scores. Hopefully these are good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 35 year old Physician Assistant with a wife that is in Pharmacy School, that became interested in going to a PharmD program myself. So, I applied. Have a BS in Chemistry and a Masters in Health science. Graduate GPA on 100+ hours of medical courses around 3.3-3.4. Got some kind of stomach flu and didn't sleep the night before the test, but I think I did ok ,except for math, not bad for an old dude?

Verbal 92
Biology 86
Reading 97
Chemistry 63
Composite 87

The last time I saw calculus or real chemistry was close to ten years ago. Just hoping they take more stock in the composite. Thought about studying a little and taking it again, should be able to bring math and chemistry up to at least 70-75, probably bump composite over 90; but don't think that would help me get in for 2007. Had the interview and was told did well but need PCAT Scores. Hopefully these are good enough?

Congrats!! Those are pretty good scores :)
And based on your previous interview, it seems they were interested in you :)
And last but not least, perhaps being a PA would set you above other candidates too
All in all, 87 is a pretty good score by itself, and considering your background, i think you have a good chance.
Btw, how's it like being a PA? I was thinking of it in case pharm school doesn't work out (God forbid)

Being a PA isn't bad, pay is pretty good for a Masters Degree. Typically 65-80depending on specialty and work is pretty good. School isn't easy to get into either but is an alternative if you want to be in medicine. The school itself wasn't that bad, but the certifying exam is a pain. I myself am just not happy with it, the Doctors in my specialty are too fickle for my liking. Want to be on a more level playing field, but PA's that really enjoy it. I decided I want to do more than what I do now.

I heard that you have to pay malpractice insurance as a PA, and subtracting this from your salary, you're left with not much...
i personally would like to do less rather than more, in my profession. Job security is pretty much all that matters to me. Yeah, i'm pretty lazy i know. The pharm school that accepts me will be surprised to see what a bum they've accepted :D

but are you really willing to go through 4 years of school again to be a pharmacist, and then have to start anew in that profession after graduation? It's really tough, especially in your case where you have a family, I'd think. Well, kudos to you :) you sound very motivated, and that is worth admiring :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Verbal 92
Biology 86
Reading 97
Chemistry 63
Composite 87

Congrats!! You did very well and I think you are more than qualified to be accepted into Pharmacy school even for an "old dude" :D

Being a PA isn't bad, pay is pretty good for a Masters Degree. Typically 65-80depending on specialty and work is pretty good. School isn't easy to get into either but is an alternative if you want to be in medicine. The school itself wasn't that bad, but the certifying exam is a pain. I myself am just not happy with it, the Doctors in my specialty are too fickle for my liking. Want to be on a more level playing field, but PA's that really enjoy it. I decided I want to do more than what I do now.

what did u tell them at the interview was ur reason for switching careers? and why pharmacy?

They practice you work for typically picks up malpractice, all though that is usually claim based. That is you are only covered while you work for them. If you leave then you should probably pick up what's called tail insurance to cover you during the statute of limitations for claims which in virginia is 2 years. It's not that bad price wise as long as you have a clean claims record.

As for the admissions committee inteview, I told them the truth. I felt I'd be happier being a pharmacist. As I have to deal with them all the time writing scripts and having a wife in pharmacy school I understand what's involved.