Just got waitlisted at UPenn...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WOWOWOW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Worst day ever...:(:(:(:(:(:(

It was a pleasure for the members of the admissions committee to meet you personally and to discuss your career in dental medicine.
Unfortunately I must inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the DMD class of 2011 this time. However, the admissions committee has determined to place your on alternate status
Alternate status entitles you to remain in consideration for any vacancies in the class of 2011 that may occur between now and registration day August 22.2011

:(:(

What are my chances now???... this is so depressing...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Worst day ever...:(:(:(:(:(:(

It was a pleasure for the members of the admissions committee to meet you personally and to discuss your career in dental medicine.
Unfortunately I must inform you that we are unable to offer you are place in the DMD class of 2011 entering August 2011 this time. However, the admissions committe has determined to place your on alternate status
Alternate status entitles you to remain in consideration for any vacancies in the class of 2011 that may occur between now and registration day August 22.2011

:(:(

What are my chances now???... this is so depressing...

At least it's not a rejection! I would give them a call. They seem to be pretty transparent. Ask them how long the list is, what your chances are. Keep your head up though. Hope for the best!

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up! You have interviews at good schools and I'm sure you'll find yourself in dental school this fall!

Can you tell me when the was letter dated? I'm eagerly waiting to hear form them. Snail mail or FedEx?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up! You have interviews at good schools and I'm sure you'll find yourself in dental school this fall!

Can you tell me when the was letter dated? I'm eagerly waiting to hear form them. Snail mail or FedEx?

Good luck!

i would also like to know this... and if u dont mind sharing, the date of your interview

I looked at your predents profile and I was all "wtf how is this guy not accepted at like 203572075 schools" But then I saw international. Sorry dude =[

Holy cow, you got waitlisted and rejected with 4.0 GPA. When I apply next year as International (from Canada) I will be lucky to get my GPA up to 3.4-3.5.

And OP, I am pretty sure you will get in Dental school this/or next year. You can't mess with 4.0

BTW: Did you apply to any Canadian dental school?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Wow. What were your stats?

Holy cow, you got waitlisted and rejected with 4.0 GPA. When I apply next year as International (from Canada) I will be lucky to get my GPA up to 3.4-3.5.

And OP, I am pretty sure you will get in Dental school this/or next year. You can't mess with 4.0

BTW: Did you apply to any Canadian dental school?

I am a Canadian and am doing my undergrad in Canada. I received two interviews and got an acceptance to BU with a 3.35 and 20AA/20PAT. So I think you can definitely work with a 3.4-3.5 as a Canadian. Just try to make your application as appealing as possible! Good luck with your application next year!

After reading your previous posts, I think your reference letter could be the
culprit. UWO has good work study programs,, maybe you could ask your summer research supervisor for a letter.

I'm waitlisted there as well. I figured I had that coming after being "under consideration" for so long. Anyone have any idea how many they usually take off the waitlist? I've heard quite a few.

That sucks, how did you find out?

I am a Canadian and am doing my undergrad in Canada. I received two interviews and got an acceptance to BU with a 3.35 and 20AA/20PAT. So I think you can definitely work with a 3.4-3.5 as a Canadian. Just try to make your application as appealing as possible! Good luck with your application next year!

Wow, congrats.

I'm also a Canadian applicant but didn't get an interview from BU and received a rejection email last week :(

I just don't understand becuase my gpa is 3.8 and 24TS, 22AA and 25PAT... I guess my application file wasn't good enough to gain an interview :)

good to know other Canadians are doing great :)

Any news on the waitlist? Anyone still hoping to hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am giving up my seat at upenn.

good luck!

Last edited:
I am another canadian who gave up my seat at penn, good luck!

I am another canadian who gave up my seat at penn, good luck!

Thanks for your update and good luck to you!

Has anyone heard anything regarding the wait list? Anyone here back yet or know when the committee meet?

Last edited:
Hey I am also a Canadian in my third year at McGill my gpa isn't great because of a low first year gpa- 3.0 but second year I got a 3.5 and this year I will be at a 3.7-3.8 and next year probably around the same. I was just wondering if I should take the DAT or if my gpa would be too low for American schools? Or if I should go to grad school first? Also how did you make your application more "appealing"? I read the thread about for people asking about this topic but wanted to hear more from Canadians that had gotten in. Thanks so much, and congrats on your acceptance!!!

Hey I am also a Canadian in my third year at McGill my gpa isn't great because of a low first year gpa- 3.0 but second year I got a 3.5 and this year I will be at a 3.7-3.8 and next year probably around the same. I was just wondering if I should take the DAT or if my gpa would be too low for American schools? Or if I should go to grad school first? Also how did you make your application more "appealing"? I read the thread about for people asking about this topic but wanted to hear more from Canadians that had gotten in. Thanks so much, and congrats on your acceptance!!!

I got into penn and a few other us schools with a 3.7 overall gpa and 22AA 24 PAT DAT. If I were you, I would take the american DAT soon and apply this upcoming cycle starting in june. I think you will be fine with that kind of gpa and a decent DAT score. PM me if you want some info about applying to states, or Canada for that matter (i am going to UBC next yr)

Not yet. Deposits were apparently due April 1, so hopefully it will start moving soon. Seems like a lot of people have given up spots.

Deposits were due earlier. April 1st was just when schools could see where you had deposits placed (via AADSAS).

Deposits were due earlier. April 1st was just when schools could see where you had deposits placed (via AADSAS).

Penn's second $500 deposit was due April 1st. I think that's what c4ss meant.

Penn's second $500 deposit was due April 1st. I think that's what c4ss meant.

Ah. I know Columbia's is due on May 1st, so I had assumed they would all be around then. My bad.

Any body have good luck recently? Or at least get some information?

You are one of the most impatient people I have ever seen... No news

I might sound like it, but i really dont see the waitlist moving too much after may. I guess time is winding down.

Remember that people have until the ~20th to remove a deposit at a school if they have multiple down, so I would expect it to move a bit more at the end of the month. Good luck!

Any news from anyone? Still waiting here.

Bump. Any news? Has any one gotten off the waitlist?

Congrats. I got the email from Corky awhile back too about staying on the waitlist. I'm in elsewhere but Penn would be ideal. Hoping to hear soon. Are you going to attend?

Didn't get into my primary school but it would be dumb to reject this offer and reapply for the next cycle so yes I will be attending this fall.

DrDDS, I just found out I got in yesterday actually via email. did you hear any similar good news as well?
I know this is really long ago but I just got wait listed at Penn yet I really want to go there. Did you do anything to help your chances of getting off the wait list? I'm desperate. Thank you so much in advance!