Just informed-BC BS ANTHEM reduced my payments 40 %

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going non-par has always been a less-than-desirable path. Now, however, it seems that that election won’t work very well for very long. The non-par folks are/will be so-called “surprise billers” and that is being killed everywhere. Your non-par surprise bill will be limited to the median of some figure AND the way the laws are crafted, that median will go lower and lower over a few years until it is virtually the same as the par reimbursement. From what I understand, there is no way out.

Members don't see this ad.

They express their sympathy but only are really concerned about how it affects their business

So we're supposed to take the hit because it is bad for their business? Again, I'd ask what would they do in my situation? If they said they would just accept the proposed rates, I'd tell them to GTFO with that BS--calmly and politely of course--you know, like a pathologist.

Going non-par has always been a less-than-desirable path. Now, however, it seems that that election won’t work very well for very long. The non-par folks are/will be so-called “surprise billers” and that is being killed everywhere. Your non-par surprise bill will be limited to the median of some figure AND the way the laws are crafted, that median will go lower and lower over a few years until it is virtually the same as the par reimbursement. From what I understand, there is no way out.

Right, this is a potential issue. But is the "median of some figure" 40% less than Medicare? If it isn't, then you choose the lesser of two evils.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking 40% LESS than current Medicare rates is simply not possible from a business vs. risk standpoint.

So either:
1.) Tell the hospital immediately what is happening and you are terminating the contract immediately. If that is unsatisfactory to them, then resign the pathology contract on the spot.
2.) Tell Anthem you are terminating, will balance bill and will take out advertisements explaining why you are doing what you are going take out full paper ads in every local newspaper in your catch area. Tell Anthem you are very concerned about patient care and would like to tell potential purchasers of those insurance products that they will pay far more for basic labs and that their competitor e.g. Cigna is financially a much better product.
3.) If any surgeons give you ANY attitude whatsoever, tell them to take their business elsewhere effective immediately.

If you are unwilling to do the above, then you arent ready to run a pathology business. You should then PM me and give me the reigns of your practice group so you guys dont end up sleeping in a van down by the river making child support payments to your ex and then having your now pitiful wages garnished when Anthem decides to cut you yet another 40%.

Surprise billing laws both already enforced and in suggestion have a floor of 125% Medicare, so going non-par AT THIS POINT in time is totally not a concern.

Could that change? Sure. But this means you dont vote for certain candidates who herald a demonic donkey as their icon. Common sense right?

Taking 40% LESS than current Medicare rates is simply not possible from a business vs. risk standpoint.

So either:
1.) Tell the hospital immediately what is happening and you are terminating the contract immediately. If that is unsatisfactory to them, then resign the pathology contract on the spot.
2.) Tell Anthem you are terminating, will balance bill and will take out advertisements explaining why you are doing what you are going take out full paper ads in every local newspaper in your catch area. Tell Anthem you are very concerned about patient care and would like to tell potential purchasers of those insurance products that they will pay far more for basic labs and that their competitor e.g. Cigna is financially a much better product.
3.) If any surgeons give you ANY attitude whatsoever, tell them to take their business elsewhere effective immediately.

If you are unwilling to do the above, then you arent ready to run a pathology business. You should then PM me and give me the reigns of your practice group so you guys dont end up sleeping in a van down by the river making child support payments to your ex and then having your now pitiful wages garnished when Anthem decides to cut you yet another 40%.

Surprise billing laws both already enforced and in suggestion have a floor of 125% Medicare, so going non-par AT THIS POINT in time is totally not a concern.

Could that change? Sure. But this means you dont vote for certain candidates who herald a demonic donkey as their icon. Common sense right?
Perhaps you are correct,but could it be i understand my situation better than you ????????????If i resigned my 3 hospitals would quickly find another pathologist, go to a participating group or to a COMMERCIAL lab.I am too long in the tooth to resettle and locums would pay less and necessitate living way from home.If you can fight this in my area then the reigns are yours.P.S.-shouldn't the CAP be doing the ads ?Their is a rumor that CAP representatives are in INDIANOPOLIS today.

Last edited:
I recently conversed with a group in ROANOKE.Apparently they,CHARLOTTESVILLE and HARRISONBURG are going NON PAR as of SEPT. 1.However,some VIRGINIA groups are taking the cut and remaining with ANTHEM.

Perhaps you are correct,but could it be i understand my situation better than you ????????????If i resigned my 3 hospitals would quickly find another pathologist, go to a participating group or to a COMMERCIAL lab.I am too long in the tooth to resettle and locums would pay less and necessitate living way from home.If you can fight this in my area then the reigns are yours.P.S.-shouldn't the CAP be doing the ads ?Their is a rumor that CAP representatives are in INDIANOPOLIS today.

That's the whole thing right there. This doesnt just pertain to this one situation or even Pathology or even medicine, this is a life lesson: when someone has you by such a complete power advantage, with no threat of even the most minimal push back, you will get what you deserve in life.

Some learn this a child in a class dominated by a central social bully-tyrant or a job where they are young and treated like dirt or in an abusive one sided relationship as a teen or early 20s but some realize this when they are long in the tooth, afraid of leaving home.

All the things you are "afraid of" rule over you like a cruel slave master my friend. I think you are very wrong about one point, I do know your situation and it is a common one. If you wake up everyday terrified you will lose a contract OR a friend in school OR a spouse because your self esteem wont let you believe even for a moment you are irreplaceable and valuable then I cant help you. If my hospital CEO marched into my office and said he was giving my contract to another group, I would tell him that I will find 5 more contracts or build a lab across the street from the hospital and I would work to undermine his at every turn, every interaction, every social function. Maybe that would give him pause, maybe not, but I refuse to live my life in fear of other men or women for that matter.

Long in the tooth also makes you sound like you are 58 or something, heck you cant be older than me? I could EASILY start over from scratch tomorrow with just my ID, scrubs and a pair of shoes and be back in full form in mere years. Probably dating models again because my body fat would be sub 8% from having no money for food! Heck Id probably be in the best shape of my life.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
That's the whole thing right there. This doesnt just pertain to this one situation or even Pathology or even medicine, this is a life lesson: when someone has you by such a complete power advantage, with no threat of even the most minimal push back, you will get what you deserve in life.

Some learn this a child in a class dominated by a central social bully-tyrant or a job where they are young and treated like dirt or in an abusive one sided relationship as a teen or early 20s but some realize this when they are long in the tooth, afraid of leaving home.

All the things you are "afraid of" rule over you like a cruel slave master my friend. I think you are very wrong about one point, I do know your situation and it is a common one. If you wake up everyday terrified you will lose a contract OR a friend in school OR a spouse because your self esteem wont let you believe even for a moment you are irreplaceable and valuable then I cant help you. If my hospital CEO marched into my office and said he was giving my contract to another group, I would tell him that I will find 5 more contracts or build a lab across the street from the hospital and I would work to undermine his at every turn, every interaction, every social function. Maybe that would give him pause, maybe not, but I refuse to live my life in fear of other men or women for that matter.

Long in the tooth also makes you sound like you are 58 or something, heck you cant be older than me? I could EASILY start over from scratch tomorrow with just my ID, scrubs and a pair of shoes and be back in full form in mere years. Probably dating models again because my body fat would be sub 8% from having no money for food! Heck Id probably be in the best shape of my life.

ROTFLMAO-Why don't you run for CAP presidency.I'd vote for you.But LA,i am well beyond 58 and don't wish to retire yet

I kinda feel you only got hit by this if you were totally asleep, like a party where people write on your face with sharpie while you are passed out on the carpet in puddle of Natty Light.
I don't think that was Natty Light....

My feedback is that ANTHEM is not negotiating.If you know better please inform me.If you are aware where they have rescinded this because of PATHOLOGIST PUSH BACK direct me.The other pathologists i contacted in my area are just accepting this as a fait accompli.Those who have tried non participating have met with surgeon and hospital administrator unhappiness.
Don't the admin get cut on technical if they own the hospital lab?

58+ equals retire. Time is way way way more valuable.

If only going to work for a few more years. I would look into being hosp employed. Be glad its not the start of your career. Those people are screwed.

I recently conversed with a group in ROANOKE.Apparently they,CHARLOTTESVILLE and HARRISONBURG are going NON PAR as of SEPT. 1.However,some VIRGINIA groups are taking the cut and remaining with ANTHEM.
This may have been a teleconference.I am told the CAP is afraid of a suit for ANTITRUST violations.Apparently enough pathologists in OHIO went NON PAR so ANTHEM delayed implementation until OCTOBER 1.Also i hear VIRGINIA PATHOLOGY ASSOCIATION may sue ANTHEM over this.

58+ equals retire. Time is way way way more valuable.

If only going to work for a few more years. I would look into being hosp employed. Be glad its not the start of your career. Those people are screwed.

Crap “screwed” meaning we will have to “work at Denny’s after work to make ends meet” screwed?

Sorry to hear about this @y2k_free_radical

i don't pretend to have all the answers but i have heard about BC/BS doing these games for a while. I remember reading this happened in Tennessee last year and the Tennessee Pathology association (don't remember the name) fought it and REVERSED IT.

I would suggest you become involved with your state's Path board or medical board and file an official motion to have this reviewed and fought.

Pathologists have to be HARDER. Stand up and fight for patient care and ourselves.

Sorry to hear about this @y2k_free_radical

i don't pretend to have all the answers but i have heard about BC/BS doing these games for a while. I remember reading this happened in Tennessee last year and the Tennessee Pathology association (don't remember the name) fought it and REVERSED IT.

I would suggest you become involved with your state's Path board or medical board and file an official motion to have this reviewed and fought.

Pathologists have to be HARDER. Stand up and fight for patient care and ourselves.
The pathologists in MISSOURI have been unsuccessful in reversing these reductions despite fighting ANTHEM since last NOVEMBER.It has been difficult for me to get other pathologist to fight this so far .The CAP should be the prime pathologists' representative in this .DR. GODBEY ,who is CAP PRESIDENT ELECT, has a group of over 40 other pathologists in harms way.But those closer to the CAP higher ups admit that the CAP was blind sided,late to the fight and so far weak in response.

In an August 28 conference call with Anthem BlueCross BlueShield executives, key CAP leaders urged the insurer to reverse cuts to pathology services the insurer has rolled out in multiple states. The conference call is only the latest in a series of CAP communications with Anthem that began in April as the planned cuts unfolded over multiple states. CAP leaders argued that the cuts would undermine the viability of pathologists’ practices and undermine access to care for pathology services, particularly in rural communities.

The CAP leaders who participated in the call with Anthem were Donald Karcher, MD, FCAP; Emily E. Volk, MD, FCAP; Jonathan Myles, MD, FCAP; Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD, FCAP; and Jeff Welsh, MD, FCAP.

In response, Anthem claimed it had seen disparities in rates it was paying across settings, providers, and states—and has moved to rebalance its rates to provide a consistent out-of-pocket cost to its insured members. Anthem asserted that it did not just look at national laboratories but considered local market contracted rates in establishing its new fee schedules.

The CAP countered that this action could result in patient access issues, quality of care issues, and downstream costs for Anthem. CAP leaders also discussed with Anthem the complexity in valuing pathology services across different settings and argued that the insurer’s new rates would be unsustainable for practices and that pathology practices could close as a result of the Anthem payment reductions.

The Anthem executives were clear that the insurer does not plan to rescind or revisit its fee schedule changes but will continue to monitor the market response and further advised that pathologists with concerns should contact their regional network manager to discuss and share those concerns directly.

The CAP encourages pathologists impacted by Anthem’s payment reductions to review their contracts and to communicate any concerns directly with their respective Anthem regional network manager.

Following the CAP-Anthem conference call, CAP leaders met with the state presidents of pathology societies in states impacted by the Anthem fee schedule cuts to brief them on its call with Anthem. A number of state pathology societies, including the California Society of Pathologists and the Virginia Society of Pathologists, also have met with Anthem to urge the insurer to reconsider the cuts to pathology services.

In an August 28 conference call with Anthem BlueCross BlueShield executives, key CAP leaders urged the insurer to reverse cuts to pathology services the insurer has rolled out in multiple states. The conference call is only the latest in a series of CAP communications with Anthem that began in April as the planned cuts unfolded over multiple states. CAP leaders argued that the cuts would undermine the viability of pathologists’ practices and undermine access to care for pathology services, particularly in rural communities.

The CAP leaders who participated in the call with Anthem were Donald Karcher, MD, FCAP; Emily E. Volk, MD, FCAP; Jonathan Myles, MD, FCAP; Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD, FCAP; and Jeff Welsh, MD, FCAP.

In response, Anthem claimed it had seen disparities in rates it was paying across settings, providers, and states—and has moved to rebalance its rates to provide a consistent out-of-pocket cost to its insured members. Anthem asserted that it did not just look at national laboratories but considered local market contracted rates in establishing its new fee schedules.

The CAP countered that this action could result in patient access issues, quality of care issues, and downstream costs for Anthem. CAP leaders also discussed with Anthem the complexity in valuing pathology services across different settings and argued that the insurer’s new rates would be unsustainable for practices and that pathology practices could close as a result of the Anthem payment reductions.

The Anthem executives were clear that the insurer does not plan to rescind or revisit its fee schedule changes but will continue to monitor the market response and further advised that pathologists with concerns should contact their regional network manager to discuss and share those concerns directly.

The CAP encourages pathologists impacted by Anthem’s payment reductions to review their contracts and to communicate any concerns directly with their respective Anthem regional network manager.

Following the CAP-Anthem conference call, CAP leaders met with the state presidents of pathology societies in states impacted by the Anthem fee schedule cuts to brief them on its call with Anthem. A number of state pathology societies, including the California Society of Pathologists and the Virginia Society of Pathologists, also have met with Anthem to urge the insurer to reconsider the cuts to pathology services.
Thanks for info-BCBS controls 70% of private insurance in GEORGIA and 90% in ALABAMA but the regulatory agents say nothing.I have complained to my DEPT of INSURANCE that I was not contacted by BCBS before the reductions as my contract required.BCBS is essentially forcing a new contract without negotiation.Since CALIFORNIA is involved,i am expecting LA DOC to lead the fight for us.

Last edited:
Anthem should just exploit the pathologist surplus and start their own national pathology laboratory.