Just making sure I'm thinking correctly...

Started by MJB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MJB

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I look over my options and try to decide who to use as my lender...I want to make sure I've got this straight...

I've got to believe that having a couple points knocked off the interest rate is way better than say a 1 or 2% reduction in the principal balance...isn't it?
 
I calculated this a few times, but somehow ended up with differing answers (I must have screwed something up the first time). I got a pretty big difference the second time I ran the numbers and the interest rate reduction won. This was of course, after I had selected the other option (1% rate reduction later versus 3.33% principal reduction sooner). Perhaps someone else can give their results to confirm.
 
It depends on what your plans are for paying off the loan. For example:

If you have $60,000 on loans you get 30 years to pay the loans off.

  • If you take 30 years you'll save about $12,000 dollars with 1% off your interest rate (at 36 months)
  • If you get a great job and are able to pay off the loans in just 10 years, you'll only save about $2,000 with that interest rate reduction versus about $3,000 with a 3.33% principal reduction.

Essentially, the earlier you pay off your loans - the more money you'll save with a principal reduction versus an interest reduction. Interest reductions save you money over time.
 
It depends on what your plans are for paying off the loan. For example:

If you have $60,000 on loans you get 30 years to pay the loans off.

  • If you take 30 years you'll save about $12,000 dollars with 1% off your interest rate (at 36 months)
  • If you get a great job and are able to pay off the loans in just 10 years, you'll only save about $2,000 with that interest rate reduction versus about $3,000 with a 3.33% principal reduction.

Essentially, the earlier you pay off your loans - the more money you'll save with a principal reduction versus an interest reduction. Interest reductions save you money over time.


That's what I was thinking...and the max principal reduction possible is like 2% if I remember correctly.

Lots of options...and no clear cut favorite at this point.

I don't like a 3% origination fee on the Grad Plus, that's for certain.