1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Just making sure I'm thinking correctly...

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by MJB, May 8, 2007.

1. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As I look over my options and try to decide who to use as my lender...I want to make sure I've got this straight...

I've got to believe that having a couple points knocked off the interest rate is way better than say a 1 or 2% reduction in the principal balance...isn't it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dpmd

dpmd Relaxing
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I calculated this a few times, but somehow ended up with differing answers (I must have screwed something up the first time). I got a pretty big difference the second time I ran the numbers and the interest rate reduction won. This was of course, after I had selected the other option (1% rate reduction later versus 3.33% principal reduction sooner). Perhaps someone else can give their results to confirm.

4. lvScRb23

2+ Year Member

It depends on what your plans are for paying off the loan. For example:

If you have $60,000 on loans you get 30 years to pay the loans off.

• If you take 30 years you'll save about $12,000 dollars with 1% off your interest rate (at 36 months)
    • If you get a great job and are able to pay off the loans in just 10 years, you'll only save about $2,000 with that interest rate reduction versus about $3,000 with a 3.33% principal reduction.

Essentially, the earlier you pay off your loans - the more money you'll save with a principal reduction versus an interest reduction. Interest reductions save you money over time.

5. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

That's what I was thinking...and the max principal reduction possible is like 2% if I remember correctly.

Lots of options...and no clear cut favorite at this point.

I don't like a 3% origination fee on the Grad Plus, that's for certain.