just read The Godfather, made me think of therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at our clinic, we started a book/journal club. And it's been a lot of fun. The Godfather (a book we are considering doing next) really had some interesting insights that made me think of therapy, in some odd ways DBT (when and how to use WISE Mind), checking the facts, etc). Obviously, there's clear examples of what not to do, which lead to some fatal outcomes and I don't condone killing as resolution lol. But just wanted to share some quotes that make me think of some of the things we do in therapy, obviously, more tactfully delivered but the essence of the message is the same:
"You can act like a man! What's the matter with you?" - gain insight, take ownership, start making some effective steps
"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." - obvious. Be good to your loved ones. Or...respectful/appropriate at least.
"Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you or my boy to me?" - similar theme to first quote. But many of our patients get so caught up in it. Even at the microscopic level or passive aggressiveness.
"Friendship is everything." - sure is.
"Great men are not born great." - delayed gratification, hard work, patience, etc. etc. Great outcomes don't just come delivered.
"Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment." - watch that affect.
Some other quote somewhere about don't take it too personal, it was just business. Another concept we illustrate to patients to not over-internalize.

I gotta watch the movie now. I really enjoyed reading about so much communication is what was not said, but done or omitted. Which is a tool we use in our work. And in some ways, something we try to help patients develop in a healthy way to better navigate matters in their lives.

Also, "You think that could fool a Corleone?" lol. Makes me think of when in clinical cases something is not forthcoming and we try to tactfully approach that to hopefully make some therapeutic change. In that book though, it ended up with someone killing someone.

Thought I'd share : ).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users