Just received secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elfman5150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. So my AMCAS application was finally verified yesterday, and this morning I woke up with two secondary application requests in my email: NYU and Pittsburg.

Now, from what I have heard both of these schools send secondaries to everyone, so I shouldn't feel too great about that. My MCAT was a measly 27 (9/9/9) though having come from a philosophy degree I didn't feel terrible about that. My sGPA is a 3.87, and my overall is 3.67. Given these stats, I have applied to many D.O. schools as well, but my application is still being processed through AACOMAS.

My question to everyone is this: is it worth filling out these two secondaries (and paying for them) to NYU and Pitt, given my stats? I graduated in 2012 with a B.A. in philosophy, then did post-bacc 2 years. Not sure if that makes me more unique or not, but I need some advice here.

Thanks a bunch. And best of luck to everyone in the process of applying. I hope you get in to your top school!

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn't think you had a shot at these schools why did you apply?

I believe that its worth it, but don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: 1 user
If you didn't think you had a shot at these schools why did you apply?

I believe that its worth it, but don't get your hopes up.
Good point. I applied thinking that my GPA would be considered competitive, and that I may stand out due to my philosophy degree. Other than that, I just applied on faith and hope.

To be honest, I'm just hoping to get an acceptance to any M.D. school. I applied to Drexel and EVMS, where I believe I may have a decent shot. I live in Norfolk, so I've heard EVMS likes to take students from the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview to an Ivy League school solely because of my secondary essay. I was rejected ultimately, but it was nice of one of the interviewers to let me know why I was even showing up for an interview I had no business being in.

You miss all the shots you don't take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
So I hate to be a downer, here, but I think you would be wasting your money with NYU and Pitt. Pitt seems to value high-performing applicants with a good research background. You are 9 points below the median and 4 points below even the 10th percentile for MCAT for accepted students. I am also assuming (maybe wrongly) that as a philosophy major, you don't have a ton of research experience, so that is also not a good sign. Save your money and apply to some MD schools where you have a greater chance of acceptance. I suggest looking at NYMC, quinnipiac, commonwealth, and any state schools where you have residency. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I am just another applicant as well.

So I hate to be a downer, here, but I think you would be wasting your money with NYU and Pitt. Pitt seems to value high-performing applicants with a good research background. You are 9 points below the median and 4 points below even the 10th percentile for MCAT for accepted students. I am also assuming (maybe wrongly) that as a philosophy major, you don't have a ton of research experience, so that is also not a good sign. Save your money and apply to some MD schools where you have a greater chance of acceptance. I suggest looking at NYMC, quinnipiac, commonwealth, and any state schools where you have residency. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I am just another applicant as well.
I agree that his chances are slim (or even zero), but it sounds like he has all his ducks in a row and will be accepted somewhere. He's not top-loading, and he didn't say money is an object. If this is his only application cycle, I think it doesn't hurt to give reach schools a shot.

That being said, I think you have a slim chance at NYU, and a nil chance at Pittsburgh. You don't sound delusional, and you are aware of your chances. I say, go for it. Worst that can happen is the same thing that would happen if you didn't bother.

Now if money is tight, maaaybe focus your energies on more realistic shots.

I agree that his chances are slim (or even zero), but it sounds like he has all his ducks in a row and will be accepted somewhere. He's not top-loading, and he didn't say money is an object. If this is his only application cycle, I think it doesn't hurt to give reach schools a shot.

That being said, I think you have a slim chance at NYU, and a nil chance at Pittsburgh. You don't sound delusional, and you are aware of your chances. I say, go for it. Worst that can happen is the same thing that would happen if you didn't bother.

Now if money is tight, maaaybe focus your energies on more realistic shots.
Thanks for your input. I know that I am stretching my imagination a bit by applying to some of these schools, but I feel like I'd regret it more if I didn't at least try. Money isn't such a big problem since I know that the money is well spent (regardless of what others may say about the 'reach' schools). Where are you thinking some other reasonable places to apply would be for MD? I keep telling myself that I'd be happy as a D.O., and while I believe that I would, it sure would be nice to have that M.D. at the end of my name.

Thanks again.

Edit: I might also add that I have about 50 hours shadowing a family practice M.D., 10 shadowing a surgeon (M.D.), and 20 shadowing a family practice D.O. as of now. I'm a fitness instructor at the local YMCA (which I'm trying to sell as 'patient care' to an extent), and volunteer occasionally at a soup kitchen. Not sure that amounts to much, but I wanted to mention it.

I guess I am wondering what made you choose NYU and Pitt specifically? It is great to have reach schools, but you should tailor those schools to fit who you are as an applicant.

Also do not expect that being a philosophy major will not make you stand out. You can generally major in anything you'd like and it won't have any bearing on your credentials.

You can try to apply to new MD schools or more Midwest/South schools (check for the listing on Wiki). Look for private school though, because if you are not the resident of those state, you will need a lot higher MCAT. Creighton come to my mind, but there are lot of applicants there too. You can also try Western Michigan

Thanks for your input. I know that I am stretching my imagination a bit by applying to some of these schools, but I feel like I'd regret it more if I didn't at least try. Money isn't such a big problem since I know that the money is well spent (regardless of what others may say about the 'reach' schools). Where are you thinking some other reasonable places to apply would be for MD? I keep telling myself that I'd be happy as a D.O., and while I believe that I would, it sure would be nice to have that M.D. at the end of my name.
This was the main reason I avoided DO for so long, before I became desperate enough (though I ended up at an MD school): there's already so much BS between physician and patient, I didn't want to have another layer. I'm interested in caring for patients, not the politics of caring for them. I don't care for this ridiculous battle of "us" vs "them" that is created by the arrogant pride of osteopathy: they had the right to use the MD degree, but wanted something "separate but equal" (but we all know from history that doesn't work).

Maybe in the middle level, where you are in medicine, the distinction doesn't matter, but that's not what I'm gunning for. I saw the upper echelons of healthcare, and with the corruption, comes a preference with MDs (to the point a big 8 pharma referred to DOs as "fake doctors"). I may fall short of my ambitions, but at least I won't have anything holding me back besides my own shortcomings, instead of the letters after my name. I don't want to live in doubt for the rest of my life.

OP, make sure you're not as neurotic as me, as you will most like not be accepted by any MD school due to your MCAT (doesn't mean you won't be, but statistically, odds are against you). If you're more realistic than me, and realize you can do 99% of what you want as a DO and not doubt yourself because of the degree, then you'll be happy.

DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion, and not a complete picture of osteopathic medicine. This is not a DO vs MD debate, just my feelings.

Also do not expect that being a philosophy major will not make you stand out. You can generally major in anything you'd like and it won't have any bearing on your credentials.
I think he can, at the very least, try to spin his "uniqueness" to his advantage in essays. Not saying I know how, but that would make him stand out.

I guess I am wondering what made you choose NYU and Pitt specifically? It is great to have reach schools, but you should tailor those schools to fit who you are as an applicant.
To be honest, I really love those cities and have family there. That's the major reason I choose them as my reach schools. I figure it would be nice to be close to relatives while I'm in med school. What's everyone's thought on Central Michigan University SOM?

I think he can, at the very least, try to spin his "uniqueness" to his advantage in essays. Not saying I know how, but that would make him stand out.
There are quite a few philosophy majors who apply every year. I wouldn't say it is unique. I certainly wouldn't make it a focal point of an essay.

This was the main reason I avoided DO for so long, before I became desperate enough (though I ended up at an MD school): there's already so much BS between physician and patient, I didn't want to have another layer. I'm interested in caring for patients, not the politics of caring for them. I don't care for this ridiculous battle of "us" vs "them" that is created by the arrogant pride of osteopathy: they had the right to use the MD degree, but wanted something "separate but equal" (but we all know from history that doesn't work).

Maybe in the middle level, where you are in medicine, the distinction doesn't matter, but that's not what I'm gunning for. I saw the upper echelons of healthcare, and with the corruption, comes a preference with MDs (to the point a big 8 pharma referred to DOs as "fake doctors"). I may fall short of my ambitions, but at least I won't have anything holding me back besides my own shortcomings, instead of the letters after my name. I don't want to live in doubt for the rest of my life.

OP, make sure you're not as neurotic as me, as you will most like not be accepted by any MD school due to your MCAT (doesn't mean you won't be, but statistically, odds are against you). If you're more realistic than me, and realize you can do 99% of what you want as a DO and not doubt yourself because of the degree, then you'll be happy.

DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion, and not a complete picture of osteopathic medicine. This is not a DO vs MD debate, just my feelings.

Point well taken. Considering that the divide between MD/DO at least appears to be diminishing, I don't think I have much to worry about either way. Of course, that's assuming I get into a least one program in either.

FACT: You will most likely not get in.
FACT: These are the only two secondaries that you've been offered.
FACT: You might get in to one or both of those schools.
FACT: If you don't fill out those secondaries, you have NO chance to get in.

You should fill out the secondaries and send them in. You've already payed for a primary and you have some chance.

Agree with above advice that you should add more mid and low-tier schools to your list. Consider DO application if you become a re-applicant. Not sure how applying this late would affect your AACOMAS application, possibly worthwhile this cycle.

I've already done my AACOMAS application, and it is still processing. That should be done soon, though, since I turned it in the same day as my AMCAS.

I did also apply to Commonwealth in PA, so that may be another MD program where I have a shot.