just starting college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmb81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After high school, i decided to work for 1 year cause I had to pay for college myself. Well, 1 year turned into 4 years and im now finally starting college.

Will this affect me getting into med schools at all?

Members don't see this ad.

cmb81 said:
After high school, i decided to work for 1 year cause I had to pay for college myself. Well, 1 year turned into 4 years and im now finally starting college.

Nope......
Just get to work and give it all you have! The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.......

I did the work for a year also ......It turned into 12. I am starting med school Aug 30th

Members don't see this ad :)
cmb81 said:

Welcome.

Hang out here awhile. You'll see almost everyone here has skipped down some other path, and for the most part, we consider it an advantage. Don't worry, it speaks volumes that someone supported their way through college, and you'll have lots to say in the interview. :thumbup:

cmb81 said:

No. Do well in college, and you'll do fine - perhaps even better, since you have real life experience.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I graduated from high school in (gulp) 1984. I have traveled many roads since then. I didn't start undergrad until 1998.

You will be fine. Lots of folks take their time getting ready for college. It is an important time of preparation. Making sure you are ready for the work in college is what you need to do in order to be successful in your studies.

Now it is time for you to hit the books and study your butt off. Good luck. Work as hard as you can, BUT remember to take time off to enjoy the things you enjoy outside of academics. Otherwise you will get burned out.

All my best,
Amy

Amy B said:
I graduated from high school in (gulp) 1984. I have traveled many roads since then. I didn't start undergrad until 1998.

You will be fine. Lots of folks take their time getting ready for college. It is an important time of preparation. Making sure you are ready for the work in college is what you need to do in order to be successful in your studies.

Now it is time for you to hit the books and study your butt off. Good luck. Work as hard as you can, BUT remember to take time off to enjoy the things you enjoy outside of academics. Otherwise you will get burned out.

All my best,
Amy

Don't feel bad...I graduated college in 1984 :laugh: and here I am again!

DSM said:
Don't feel bad...I graduated college in 1984 :laugh: and here I am again!

You ever feel like you are going in circles? :D

You managed to show up in college again.

Why can't you manage to show up in chat again? :(

Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement. It means alot.

I graduated in 2000, and just now starting my second semester of college, don't feel bad. Now I have a husband and a daughter! :D