Just to confirm bls mess

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackhole2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Employment of optometrists is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2018, in response to the vision care needs of a growing and aging population. Excellent job opportunities are expected.

Job prospects. Excellent job opportunities are expected over the next decade because there are only 19 schools of optometry in the United States, resulting in a limited number of graduates—about 1,200—each year. This number is not expected to keep pace with demand. However, admission to optometry school is competitive.

In addition to job growth, the need to replace optometrists who retire will also create many employment opportunities. According to the American Optometric Association, nearly one-quarter of practicing optometrists are approaching retirement age. As they begin to retire, many opportunities will arise, particularly in individual and group practices.

Is the AOA really that bad of an organization that they would purposefully lie like this? I used to think the bls was filled with accurate information.

Members don't see this ad.

Employment of optometrists is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2018, in response to the vision care needs of a growing and aging population. Excellent job opportunities are expected.

Job prospects. Excellent job opportunities are expected over the next decade because there are only 19 schools of optometry in the United States, resulting in a limited number of graduates—about 1,200—each year. This number is not expected to keep pace with demand. However, admission to optometry school is competitive."

Keep drinking the Kool Aid if you believe any of these statements. If you are interested in Optometry, please pick up a phone book. Call ten different OD offices and ask when is the soonest available appointment (non-emergency). It will be within 3-4 days, some can accommodate same day. Now do the same thing with a dentist or a PCP, your answer will be months.

Even with the 'Baby Boom' most will prefer to see an Ophthalmologist for their medical problem. Some will be referred by their PCP, internist, etc b/c of medical perception.

Nineteen Optometry schools are too many. You will not starve in Optometry, but I never wanted to work saturdays or evenings to support a family.

Job prospects. Excellent job opportunities are expected over the next decade because there are only 19 schools of optometry in the United States, resulting in a limited number of graduates—about 1,200—each year. This number is not expected to keep pace with demand. However, admission to optometry school is competitive.

In addition to job growth, the need to replace optometrists who retire will also create many employment opportunities. According to the American Optometric Association, nearly one-quarter of practicing optometrists are approaching retirement age. As they begin to retire, many opportunities will arise, particularly in individual and group practices.

Is the AOA really that bad of an organization that they would purposefully lie like this? I used to think the bls was filled with accurate information.

They are pretty bad, but at least they are keeping Optometry alive and current. Though, I wouldn't go as far as supporting them. Too many directors of AOA have special interests which keep optometry infected by corporate entities.

Members don't see this ad :)
ryan_eyeball, do you work Saturdays and evenings now?

ryan_eyeball, do you work Saturdays and evenings now?

I work Mondays 9-5pm. Tuesdays through Friday 9-6pm. Saturdays 9-3pm. As my debt dwindles down I want to phase out Saturdays. I want to watch my kids grow up and attend other functions. Right now its hard to walk away from saturdays since they can bring in a $1k of income/day.

Many OD's while I was in St. Louis and here advertise Saturday hours from 9 to noon or 1pm.