Just to make sure...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure...

This is how my surgery clerkship is going, and I'm wondering (hoping) that most other people's experience is fairly similar...
- Minimal face-time w/ attendings
- Most teaching/rounding done w/ chief resident
- Minimal chances to do new H&Ps unless in ED, as most OR pts come from attending's clinic
- OR: moderate amount of pimping, mostly reasonable re: procedure, anatomy
- OR: expected to place Foley, never asked or expected to prep/drape the pt, invited to scrub every case but only to man the retractors and the suction, occasionally cut suture, blot w/ sponges, have a go at the laparoscopy port site closure

To me it seems like a pretty middle-of-the-road experience so far -- not a suture/tie/Bovie-a-thon I've heard from few and not the malignant pimp-a-thon I've heard from more. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to make sure...

This is how my surgery clerkship is going, and I'm wondering (hoping) that most other people's experience is fairly similar...
- Minimal face-time w/ attendings
- Most teaching/rounding done w/ chief resident
- Minimal chances to do new H&Ps unless in ED, as most OR pts come from attending's clinic
- OR: moderate amount of pimping, mostly reasonable re: procedure, anatomy
- OR: expected to place Foley, never asked or expected to prep/drape the pt, invited to scrub every case but only to man the retractors and the suction, occasionally cut suture, blot w/ sponges, have a go at the laparoscopy port site closure

To me it seems like a pretty middle-of-the-road experience so far -- not a suture/tie/Bovie-a-thon I've heard from few and not the malignant pimp-a-thon I've heard from more. Any thoughts?

That's more or less how my surgery clerkship went. Except for H&P's. I did quite a few of those during my surgery rotation. As for face-time with attendings, that's basically true that it was minimal. We only had face-time with attendings in the OR and during lectures and conferences. Unless you were in the SICU, where you presented to the attending and the residents and students during morning rounds.

Sounds identical to my experience. I only did 2 H&Ps over 12 weeks, and those were during trauma surgery when I was routinely in the ER. I did get to suture more towards the end.