Just took a practice DAT exam...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright I just took Top Score Exam #1 and I have to say that I feel a whole lot more comfortable right now (that was for you sky!). Well first let me say what I got:

Biology: 16
Chemistry: 16
Organic Chemistry: 12 :laugh:
PAT: 17
Quantitative: 16
Reading: 20
TS: 15
AA: 16

Let me first start off by saying that this was taken semi-cold. I have really inconsistent study habits due to other commitments and I think I didn't retain what I studied for Organic.

Natural Sciences - I've said many times that I need to review Chemistry and Organic and I really mean it. Biology - I looked at one chapter yesterday and aside from that all of that is cold.

Perceptual is HARD. I had to grind through the section somehow. I was peeing in my pants because I was not getting a break on any of the questions. I kept clicking next on the 3D and TFE. Can you use scratch paper on the PAT? I didn't use it (I could really use it for cube counting!).

Math - I have to review all my trig because I did not know what they were asking sometimes. Algebra was sometimes difficult but its elbow grease. Work on it, and I got in the bag, I think at least. I really don't like the problems where they have to variables and they combine into one.

Reading - what a different story this was because all throughout my life, I have suffered in reading. I thought it was cake. I hope it is on test day also.

Members don't see this ad.

when i took my first practice DAT, i don't know if I even did THAT well. :p

but i sat down and did some serious studying for about 2 months and then when I took the official one, I scored a 20 AA/21 TS/21 PT. Never loose heart, its very doable.

Take as many exams as you can, I found that to be the best way to study. You find that there are trends in the DATs about certain topics that they always seem to ask about, and then you can focus on those.

Example...Biology wise, they love to ask about the Kindeys, the Endocrine system, and animal relationships (ei, parasites, commenalism, etc)

and PS, you do get two sheets of scratch paper for the PT test

2 months? I barely got 2 weeks... I'm taking the test during spring break so I really need to clamp down now. I'm going to focus on Organic, Chemistry and Math now... some parts of Biology might help also like Taxonomy and Animal Behavior...

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup:

If you don't think you can score atleast a 19 overall, it would probably be best to just delay it till early summer. I didn't take my DATs until September 17th of this cycle and I still got interviews at 4 of my 8 schools I applied too. I just say this because its expensive to take the sucker and if you don't do well, you'll have to wait 3 montsh before you can take it again anyway. Also, when I went on my Pitt interview in October, they said that the average DAT score for their interviewee's was a 21, so the average to get in and get interviews is higher than last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't think you can score atleast a 19 overall, it would probably be best to just delay it till early summer. I didn't take my DATs until September 17th of this cycle and I still got interviews at 4 of my 8 schools I applied too. I just say this because its expensive to take the sucker and if you don't do well, you'll have to wait 3 montsh before you can take it again anyway. Also, when I went on my Pitt interview in October, they said that the average DAT score for their interviewee's was a 21, so the average to get in and get interviews is higher than last year.

Definitely if you don't feel confident, don't go. It would be silly to take a test that you aren't ready for when you can just take it at a later date and be that much more prepared for it.

hahah Yeah sounds bout like me

I wanted to cry after my first DAT took it cold first day of kaplan ended up with a 13 ACA

was horrible...

But I came out with a 20 and a science of 23

so its totally doable you just have to study the stuff kaplan says and take a lot of practice test at full length then review them all
its horrible I kow

I wanted to shoot myself but if you do it and put the time in it will pay off..

Good luck

How do you look at answers for PAT portion of test 1 topscore? I cant find the solution button anywhere.

Topscore is much like the DAT, probably a little bit harder by a few random questions thrown in there now and then.

You guys should study very hard first and then take the practice test...and take it very seriously. Best wishes :luck:

Ohh and once you are scoring above 19 on Topscore, you are good to go and ready for your DAT exam. For Organic Chemistry - Kaplan white book is more than enough!

TAKE IT ASAP! I am telling your right now - it will only help you. It will tell you where you are weak and strong. I took it and now I know I am bad at Organic.

So I shouldn't finish reviewing the materials first and just take it? I'm gonna super fail if I do that...:scared:

I took my test semi-cold (see first post). Roll with the punches. You'll feel a whole lot better knowing what you are weak in and what you are strong in. I'm a Biology major and doing good in Biology was expected (not that 16 is a good score, but the point is that I was extremely comfortable in Biology). Look at my Organic score - a 12! I have never seen anybody score lower than I have.

When I took my Orgo section, there was alot of stuff on benzene reactions and SN1/SN2, E1/E2 reactions with hydrogen and methyl shifts...a disporportionally large amount of that stuff...maybe you might want to go over that stuff well

I took my test semi-cold (see first post). Roll with the punches. You'll feel a whole lot better knowing what you are weak in and what you are strong in. I'm a Biology major and doing good in Biology was expected (not that 16 is a good score, but the point is that I was extremely comfortable in Biology). Look at my Organic score - a 12! I have never seen anybody score lower than I have.

Okay, I finally got to the nerve to take like half the test (I got hungry and had to eat dinner). Just the sciences and PAT...dude I totally sucked! G. Chem-13, O Chem-13, Bio-14 (I think I got the record lowest score in that section), and PAT-16. But thanks for the advice, I now know I suck at more than 50% of the DAT! That's swell....

How do you look at answers for PAT portion of test 1 topscore? I cant find the solution button anywhere.

I don't think there is a solution button for the PAT portion of the topscore pro tests. At least i could not find any. You have to finish the whole PAT section and then get your results. Once you do so, you can write down the right answers and go check the ones that you missed.
I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck buddy! You can do it :idea:

---------Rev Balls--------- soon to be DS-1

So I guess from reading this post, I am assuming topscore is little bit harder than actual DAT. So, is it safwe to assume that if you do good on the first topscore test (only one taken so far) that it will give you a good indication as to how ready you are for the test?