Just took DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back from DAT. Heres what I got:

AA: 18
PAT: 20
RC: 18
GC: 20
OC: 20
Math: 15 :(
Bio: 16 :mad:

Schools applying to :
Case, NYU, University of Pitt., NOVA, University of Arizona, BU, Ohio State, Indiana University

Now, I am ready for your criticism and your opinion on my chances to get in to any of the schools above. I am an Ohio resident, my GPA is 3.30. I have about 210 hours of observation at my dentist and did a published research.
Should I retake it or just go with it?

Advice to everyone that has not taken DAT yet: do as many problems as you can get to. TopScore is a perfect indicator of your performance. Get away from this forum (as someone else said) and do your part. You will not find anything that will substitute your hard work.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all DDS2BE,
What happend in Bio? You scored very poorly. What happend? Where you nervous since it was the first part? Anyway congrats on performing very good on GC, OC, and an awsome number on the PAT. You will get into most of the schools that you are applying with those scores especially BU and NYU.
What materials did you use for GC and OC. Did you use Kaplan blue book?
Anyway congrats on your score. Go and party with your girlfriend . You have conquer this part :D :laugh:

At first glance, your 18/20 doesn't look bad at all, it's when you look at individual sections where red flags "may" appear with admission committees. Your 15 and 16 will attract attention, especially 16 in the Biology section! Your 3.30 GPA is lower than recent incoming class' cumulative GPA at Ohio State and at Nova.

Overall picture:

18/20

You will receive interviews and accepted somewhere, you're best chances are at NYU and Indiana Univ out of all the schools that you're applying to. Best of luck and job well done!

Awuah29 said:
First of all DDS2BE,
What happend in Bio? You scored very poorly. What happend? Where you nervous since it was the first part? Anyway congrats on performing very good on GC, OC, and an awsome number on the PAT. You will get into most of the schools that you are applying with those scores especially BU and NYU.
What materials did you use for GC and OC. Did you use Kaplan blue book?
Anyway congrats on your score. Go and party with your girlfriend . You have conquer this part :D :laugh:

I used Kaplan book and my colledge chemistry books. Also, TopScore was very useful, but only for concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will have a VERY good shot at OSU with those scores, as long as you have good grades on your Bio pre-requisites. You have to remember, OSU's high GPA is strongly pulled-up by out-of-staters stats. So, average in-staters actually have lower GPA's and DAT scores than the school's average GPA/DATs.

Bottom line - you are in good shape. Just make sure you apply now, that will definetly boost your chances.

Good Job.

I feel like I need to share this with you guys. When I was at 98th question of the first section, the computer froze up. It stopped responding completely. The lady that was watching the room through the window came up and restarted it. I asked her if I would have to start all over again and she replied "No, everything was saved, you may start from question you got left off" and I did. I still had about 15 minutes left (I guess I was going too fast). I deiced to go back and check my questions, and guess what?! About 10 questions were missing answers and I new I had answered them already. Even one question had 3 answers selected at the same time. There was definitely something wrong with that computer. I don't believe I did that bad on the Bio section and that is what I am going to find out today by calling the center.
I feel like I have some negative (not in a bad sense) energy around me that causes equipment problems. Whenever I get to work with electronics, always something goes wrong and freezes up...
I also want to add SUNNY @ Buffalo and U. Louisville to my application. What do you think of my chances at those schools as being an Ohio resident?

sorry to say this, but with that bio score i would try and retake the DAT. i think it would be too risky to sit and wait to get in ANYWHERE with that score. seriously, i am not trying to discourage you but considering the fact that the stats keep increasing every cycle i am affraid you will have to do better than that.

I have contacted the schools I want to attend and they all think my scores are competitive. My application has already been submitted on June 1st. I will see what happens in 2-3 months. If they don't contact me, then I will go and retake that DAT. Most of the schools of my choice only care about AA and don?t pay much of attention to particular subjects. Only NYU claims they are looking for people with 18 on each section to be considered as competitive, but in reality, their stats are much lower.