1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Just took Kaplan Test

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Greensalad, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Greensalad

10+ Year Member

I bought the book from Barnes and Noble today and did the back of the book full-length exam. How well did you guys do on it? And how does each section compare to the real thing nowadays?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DailyDrivenTJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    IMO, Kaplan exams were easier than the real thing on every section. I took the DAT a few weeks ago.

4. Greensalad

10+ Year Member

How did the QR and Chem sections compare? Still easier? I want to die.

5. DailyDrivenTJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Most sections of Kaplan were all easier or some sections maybe equivalent to the real thing. Like I said, for me there wasn't a single section on Kaplan that was harder than the actual test.

I consistently did 24+ on Kaplan QR and I did 19 on the real thing. I chocked on the real QR.

Don't underestimate the real DAT. If it was easy, then everyone would be doing dentistry. Prepare as much as you can and take it. I absolutely would not use Kaplan to gauge my performance on the real thing.

Good luck

6. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I felt the Kaplan G chem, RC, and QR was harder than the real deal. Kaplan Bio was easier than the real deal. O chem and Pat are harder to compare but for me I guess i'd have to say Kaplan O Chem was easier a bit and Kaplan PAT was harder when it came to pattern folding, easier keyholes, and same angle ranking, cube counting, and hole punch. I took the class though so im referring to all the extra material, practice exams, and subject tests too.

7. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey fonz did u recently take the test?

8. jfitzpat

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I thought that Kaplan QR subject tests were way harder than the real thing. Kaplan PAT is almost a waste of time it is so easy. I also thought RC was harder on the real thing. The sciences seemed to be a pretty good match, except for maybe Bio, which surprised me with its diffiiculty on the real deal.

9. DailyDrivenTJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    When did you take the DAT, jfitzpat and fonz?

10. Greensalad

10+ Year Member

32. Cardiac muscle:
    A. Is innervated by the somatic motor nervous system
    B. Is not striated.
    C. Is multi-nucleated
    D. Has voluntary contraction
    E. Does not require Ca2+

According to the Kaplan book, it is D.

Any comments?

11. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    took the test march 20th

12. jfitzpat

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took the test in early January.

13. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

did you mean INvoluntary contraction? otherwise i'd say it's multi-nucleated because some cells in cardiac muscles are di-nucleated.

14. Greensalad

10+ Year Member

You mean, did Kaplan mean involuntary contraction? Who knows? It wasn't one of the choices. And yes I also chose multi-nucleated, but it wasn't the answer in the back of the book.

15. DentalKitty

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Kaplan has multiple errors here and there just like probably most resources do. I've noticed a couple as well (in the classroom based material). I just double check what I think is the real answer with a professor or text and chalk it up to errors in reviewing. In one of my RC passages, one of the answers to the questions was listed twice (Choice A and Choice D), but you had to pick one. Most commonly my answer has been marked as incorrect on the score report, but when I go to the explanations, it shows a different letter choice for the answer. It is frustrating though...