Just took OAT

TJohn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT this afternoon. I was completely stressed going into the exam, feeling like I didn't know my stuff, but when I got to the exam site and actually sat down I began to relax. It was really quiet which helped me focus. Here are my scores:

QR: 330
RC: 390
BIO:340
GC: 360
OC: 400
PHY:400

TS: 390
AA: 370

I didn't do as well in QR because I was mentally exhausted by the end of the exam. If anyone has questions about the exam/administration/anything I'll gladly answer. Best of luck to all with OPTOMCAS launching today.

Members don't see this ad.

so did you think practice OATs were much harder than the real deal? I got a 400/380 and I always scored in the 330s on practices. that's why I relaxed during the exam: it was way easier, in my opinion.

i thought QR was the funnest. I was looking forward to that my entire exam (doing practice QR felt like one of the puzzles i'd do in the newspapers kind of fun).

anyways, congrats. You'll be in optometry school next fall, doctor.

I didn't do as well in QR because I was mentally exhausted by the end of the exam. If anyone has questions about the exam/administration/anything I'll gladly answer. Best of luck to all with OPTOMCAS launching today.

Ditto!! I got a 330 too haha =)

wow...

Seems like the average will still be pretty high...

I take my OAT on August 11th...

GOOD LUCK in Optometry school... There is no reason for you not to get in.. Unless you stink it up on the interview.. lol.. j/k..

GOOD JOB!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Truthfully, I only did the opted practice test. I bought the Kaplan OAT 09-10 book which I used for practice but never did a practice test straight through. I mainly spent my time reviewing material and trying to make sure I knew how to do each problem type. I thought the opted test was a bit easier than the real test. The format of the opted tutorial is the EXACT same as on the OAT.

One of the reasons I was actually so stressed on the day of the actual test was because on all the Kaplan materials I would get 7-10 wrong per section, which on their scale equals ~ a 320. While this isn't a bad score, it wasn't what I wanted. So the best thing I can say to do in preparation is review your sciences (orgo,physics,bio) and spend time understanding the reasons why you got questions wrong. Hope this helps.

yeah, i score about 320 in the Kaplan book too. so if the real OAT easier than the questions from the Kaplan book then?

I'm taking the OAT tomorrow! eeeeks! i'm so nervous! I don't know what score to expect anymore!

I scored 320 from the Kaplan 09-10 test book AND THEN LEARNED FROM MY MISTAKES AND HOW TO GET THE RIGHT ANSWERS. If you did this, you should be in the shape to at least get a 340 on the exam (in my opinion based solely on my own evaluation that is only supported by my experience and no other empirical evidence).

Conclusion: If you honestly feel prepared, you are probably going to do well. I don't think the kaplan practice scores are a good indicator of the real deal as it is much harder (but still not THAT hard).

Now log off the internet. Grab your books open and study. If you feel prepared, do some more QR questions and try to improve your speed (not just doing calculations faster, but using tricks to simplify or estimate calculations). Everyone should be getting 400s on QR if you can do shorthand math.