Just took the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevenweng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from taking my DAT

BS:24
Gchem:19
Orgo:20
TS: 21

PAT:22
RC:23
QR:18
AA:21

Some notes for those who may be interested:
Gen chem is A LOT more conceptual than I expected, which led to the lower score. If you are focusing your study primarily on problems, then you may run into the same problem I did.

Orgo was fairly straightforward but make sure you understand how basic rxn mechanisms work because there were a lot of slightly tricky problems that didn't go and give you obvious reagents to work with.

PAT is WAY easier than Achiever, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :p It was probably on par with Kaplan blue book, even though for some reason people always think Kaplan is too easy.

Materials I used: 3rd edition Kaplan Blue Book, DAT Destroyer, DAT Achiever. First is to solidify your knowledge in Kaplan, make sure you know the book well. Don't gloss over any minute details because the biology section ranges from obvious to obscure.

Do DAT destroyer over and over again, I can't stress enough how important and good this book is. In the supplmental revision material that I got when I ordered the book, there were 2 or 3 questions that showed up on my DAT almost word for word. In any case, I know people are tired of hearing it, but the DAT Destroyer was the most important centerpiece of my studying and I think I got pretty good scores. Just keeping going over and over that book!

DAT Achiever I bought one week before my DAT in a fit of panic. It's way harder than anything you're ever going to see on the real DAT, and it prepared me in a way, but kind of hurt me psychologically because I kept scoring 16's and 17's, and I went into the exam not as confident as I probably could've been.

Anyways, hopefully if that helps anyone...

Members don't see this ad.

WOw such outstanding scores. How did u prepare for the RC section?
Thanks.

Great Scores, I am doing the same things as you, and hope to get the same scores.

WOw such outstanding scores. How did u prepare for the RC section?
Thanks.

The DAT Achiever definitely helps, the passages there were on-par with what I saw on the DAT. Also note that if you're studying from Kaplan blue book, their RC sections tend to focus on fact-finding type questions, whereas in the real DAT they definitely have a half-half distribution of fact-finding and kind of interpretive (what tone is the author taking, how would the author most likely finish this paragraph, etc.) type questions. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

BS:24
Gchem:19
Orgo:20
TS: 21

PAT:22
RC:23
QR:18
AA:21

Some notes for those who may be interested:
Gen chem is A LOT more conceptual than I expected, which led to the lower score. If you are focusing your study primarily on problems, then you may run into the same problem I did.

Orgo was fairly straightforward but make sure you understand how basic rxn mechanisms work because there were a lot of slightly tricky problems that didn't go and give you obvious reagents to work with.

PAT is WAY easier than Achiever, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :p It was probably on par with Kaplan blue book, even though for some reason people always think Kaplan is too easy.

Materials I used: 3rd edition Kaplan Blue Book, DAT Destroyer, DAT Achiever. First is to solidify your knowledge in Kaplan, make sure you know the book well. Don't gloss over any minute details because the biology section ranges from obvious to obscure.

Do DAT destroyer over and over again, I can't stress enough how important and good this book is. In the supplmental revision material that I got when I ordered the book, there were 2 or 3 questions that showed up on my DAT almost word for word. In any case, I know people are tired of hearing it, but the DAT Destroyer was the most important centerpiece of my studying and I think I got pretty good scores. Just keeping going over and over that book!

DAT Achiever I bought one week before my DAT in a fit of panic. It's way harder than anything you're ever going to see on the real DAT, and it prepared me in a way, but kind of hurt me psychologically because I kept scoring 16's and 17's, and I went into the exam not as confident as I probably could've been.

Anyways, hopefully if that helps anyone...

This is an awesome wealth of information that you just gave. I've been studying Kaplan over and over again. Although I don't have dat achiever or destroyer, I do have Top Score. You didnt mention anything about it, but do you think it could be more helpful than destroyer or achiever?

As for the GenChem section, I'm mainly focusing on understanding the problems based in the book. I don't understand how it could be conceptually challenging. I just thought that they'd give you problem and that's it!!! Maybe I'm a little off the mark!

incredible scores....i might have to buy DAT destroyer...whats the website for it again?

This is an awesome wealth of information that you just gave. I've been studying Kaplan over and over again. Although I don't have dat achiever or destroyer, I do have Top Score. You didnt mention anything about it, but do you think it could be more helpful than destroyer or achiever?

As for the GenChem section, I'm mainly focusing on understanding the problems based in the book. I don't understand how it could be conceptually challenging. I just thought that they'd give you problem and that's it!!! Maybe I'm a little off the mark!

I didn't use Topscore, can't help you there. I suppose it wasn't conceptually "challenging" more than it just caught me off guard with the types of questions. Usually after I'm finished studying gchem I'd have 2 or 3 pages front and back of math scratchwork. In that sense, there weren't a lot of calculation based gchem problems, but make sure you know the trends of everything, solubility rules, ionic interactions and salts. That's all I can remember...hope that helps.

good job. what were you scoring on the PAT with achiever?

17, 17, 17

How does the bio compare to any other test materials?

I found the bio to be what I expected; reasonable problems mixed with really obscure ones. An example of a tricky problem was one involving figuring out oxygen affinity differences between fetal and adult hemoglobin, but presented in a very roundabout way using an oxygen dissociation curve. I think the questions are slightly easier or on-par with DAT Destroyer, but not by much.

May I ask what is the website for Achiever?
And what was your scores for the Kaplan practice exams?
Thanks.

those are excellent grades...congrads you should have no problems of getting in.

Did you feel that the conceptual questions were harder than the destroyer? Also, how good of a grasp did you have of the destroyer conceptual questions...did you know the conceptual/descriptive material inside and out? Felt comfortable applying them in novel situations? Thanks!

Nice job and great job on the details of your study habits. Congrats and good luck with the application process:thumbup:

all you need is acheiver and top score, there is no reason to ever purchase the dat destroyer

How did you study for PAT?
I am studying from kaplan book (3rd ed.) and Barrons. Is it enough?

I am looking for more PAT practice tests, which tests I should get? Do you have the Kaplan PAT practice tests, could you sell those? I am looking for a Kaplan CD with all PAt tests.