Just took the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denticus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just took the DAT and am a little concerned about my Quant score. While studying, most all of my practice exams gave me about 10 word problems but the DAT gave me 21. The problem isn't that I don't know how to do word problems but that they take me about 2 minutes to do. Honestly, I really do good when it comes to math. I am money on trig, geometry, and algebra problems. I just got rocked with all of the word problems. Be prepared for all of you that can't do word problems in 1 minute 15 seconds. 45 minutes was just to short for me so I suffered. Anybody know how this will affect my chances. I know some schools require nothing less than a 16 but it's difficult to tell exactly how important that is. Here are my scores:

Perceptual Ability -24- 99.5 percentile
Quantitative Reasoning -14- 26.8 percentile :eek:
Reading Comprehension -17- 26.3 percentile
Biology -20- 87.4 percentile
General Chemistry -19- 72.4 percentile
Organic Chemistry -25- 98 percentile
Total Science -21- 92.4 percentile
Academic Average -19- 75.3 percentile

Members don't see this ad.

What did they do to the QR and RC sections.

People are consistenly getting worked in these two sections, as of lately.

That 14 sticks out...But I have heard from many people that QR really isn't looked at. Let's face it, you did amazing in ochem and pat....Would I retake??? no...but I am 51/49

Regardless, good job and good luck man

adding on to this: what materials would best prepare you for QR (especially word problems) alongside with practicing time? I have destroyer, anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have access to KAPLAN online I strongly recommend taking the subject tests that they have for the QUANT. I did the ones for the algebra/trig/geom. sections but I skipped the other (word problem) subject tests because they were a beast. I wish I did them now. I also had the Destroyer and thought that it worked good. Barons is not challenging and neither is TopScore. I haven't looked at Achiever so it might be good. Otherwise, KAPLAN subject tests should prepare you well enough. Good Luck.

If you have access to KAPLAN online I strongly recommend taking the subject tests that they have for the QUANT. I did the ones for the algebra/trig/geom. sections but I skipped the other (word problem) subject tests because they were a beast. I wish I did them now. I also had the Destroyer and thought that it worked good. Barons is not challenging and neither is TopScore. I haven't looked at Achiever so it might be good. Otherwise, KAPLAN subject tests should prepare you well enough. Good Luck.

They are beast! I'm missing like half easily. Other than doing kaplan what else was the best math prep?

anyone who did take the kaplan tests (all) and take the test already confirm that they are enough prep?

Congrats and dont worry everyone has an Achilles heel but it shouldn't stop you from getting into Dental School

Good Luck

Hey everybody, I just took the DAT and am a little concerned about my Quant score. While studying, most all of my practice exams gave me about 10 word problems but the DAT gave me 21. The problem isn't that I don't know how to do word problems but that they take me about 2 minutes to do. Honestly, I really do good when it comes to math. I am money on trig, geometry, and algebra problems. I just got rocked with all of the word problems. Be prepared for all of you that can't do word problems in 1 minute 15 seconds. 45 minutes was just to short for me so I suffered. Anybody know how this will affect my chances. I know some schools require nothing less than a 16 but it's difficult to tell exactly how important that is. Here are my scores:

Perceptual Ability -24- 99.5 percentile
Quantitative Reasoning -14- 26.8 percentile :eek:
Reading Comprehension -17- 26.3 percentile
Biology -20- 87.4 percentile
General Chemistry -19- 72.4 percentile
Organic Chemistry -25- 98 percentile
Total Science -21- 92.4 percentile
Academic Average -19- 75.3 percentile

I also took the DAT today and also found the QR word problems to be a beast. I'm willing to say at least 50% of the QR was word problems and you have to be able to do them FAST.

Weird your TS is exactly mine ... 92.4%, except my numbers are distributed differently. So, do all the people who get 21 on TS get 92.4%? I'm curious how that works now

I also took the DAT today and also found the QR word problems to be a beast. I'm willing to say at least 50% of the QR was word problems and you have to be able to do them FAST.

Weird your TS is exactly mine ... 92.4%, except my numbers are distributed differently. So, do all the people who get 21 on TS get 92.4%? I'm curious how that works now

wait, you think your DAT QR was beast or the kaplan ones are beast...or both? :scared:
If it was such a not so great section any tips from your experience on how to make it less horrible for those that have yet to face it? thnx!

I am sure that the percentile changes from day to day. As more and more people take the DAT the averages as a whole for the individual sections will change as well as your percentile. I may be wrong.

I meant that the KAPLAN subject tests were a beast but trust me, the actual DAT Quant is also a beast. Be ready!

Well I was referring to the real DAT's QR section lol...it was a beast, but that was mainly due to time. If you had more time, I'm sure you could do the problems b/c they're absolutely doable. It's just the word problems were so time consuming I found myself rushing like crazy cause there were so many.

I agree 100%. [everyone] I know that I'm not one to talk about good techniques for the QUANT (wasn't my fault; lottery selection of problems worked me on the QUANT) but I would suggest marking "C" and skipping all of the word problems to save them for the end. This way you can gobble up all of the easy trig/alge/geo problems which usually take around 30 seconds. What ever time you have left over can be spent batalling what word problems remain (21 in my case!). I used this technique on all of my practice exams and I was getting around 21 on my quant section. Nevertheless, if you get 21 word problems like me the technique can only help so much. Hope this helps. If not, everybody's different so you may have a technique that works better for you.

Does anybody have any information about cut off scores on the DAT sections at different schools? I checked with predents.com and ada.org and couldn't find anything.