Just took the OAT...:(

daryts09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the computerized OAT and it didn't go very well :-/ Probably because I havent taken all my prerequisite courses yet, so there was a lot of material i havent learned on there. Booo. I'm considering it a 'rough draft'.

My gpa is a 3.1 and my acedemic average was a 280 :scared: ouch. I'll definately be trying again after this semester is up for next year. Anyone think I might actually have a chance? I'm just curious to know how bad that really is...

also, anyone know of which schools out there tend to be the most competitive/least competitive for optometry?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I definelty recommend you redo it. You could always try some schools - I'd imagine you've compared your stats - http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm but as of now the only school you'd have an average shot at getting into is Puerto Rico and the next closest is PCO. You never know, though? Maybe you could even retake it in april or early may (and if you can get a 320 or better) and still get in to a school for 2006...PCO, NECO would be your best bets as well as Puerto Rico since they'll accept OAT scores up through June 1st. best wishes. by the way...how did you prepare for the OAT?

Don't get down on yourself...the first time I took the OAT I had the same average as you do now. I retook it a year later after getting more pre req's in and now I have a 310 and have been admitted to SCO....so, dont worry...just take it again and I am sure you will do fine

:thumbup: I took the OAT twice, and know other people in the same boat. We have learned that taking the OAT more than once is ok, by the second t ime around your score would be raised because you studied more, but most importantly know the format of the test, which means your timing will be better. The best srategy is to answer what you know, and when you have like 5 mins left fill in all of your blanks with anything. You will see that by just answering all the questions your score will be significantly raised. Just remember that if you can get atleast half (and maybe 1 or 2 more) of the questions correct, you will get a 300 on that section.

Members don't see this ad :)
spot on. :thumbup:

S_SEEN2020 said:
:thumbup: taking the OAT more than once is ok, by the second time around your score would be raised because you studied more, but most importantly know the format of the test, which means your timing will be better.

Yeah you should retake it, I think. Most schools want at least a 300 to 320. It's okay though, cause a lot of people take the OAT two or three times, from what I've heard.