Just took the pcat. 97 composite. Ask anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stabler22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy to answer any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

What material did you use to study? Also, what do you recommend emphasizing on, and were they similar to pearson practice exams?

What material did you use to study? Also, what do you recommend emphasizing on, and were they similar to pearson practice exams?
I used Collins exclusively and a bit of Kaplan. Pearson tests are must have. I used 5&6 and got 4-5 repeats. The passages are very simple!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks! How long did you use collins for?
I spent a total of 2 months studying. The last month I really cracked down on learning topics I was unsure about. I would highly emphasize knowing your gen chem calculations, I had about 6- although they were simple. O chem is not too heavy. Math was literally 5% calculus for me, no trig, and mostly algebra- with simple calculations. 40% of math was word problems.

Also, I would like to point out
How much "general world issue" knowledge do you need for the essay?
the topic is something that most people can easily come up with a solution for. Nothing too crazy. Don't sweat the essay portion

Reactions: 1 user
I always run out of time in the math section. Any tips? I am taking it tomorrow. So nervous!!

I ran out of time as well. Guessed on at least 10. Just find a reasonable solution!
WIth that being said, scroll through every easy math problem. There's quite a bit of easy plug and chug or simple algebra/ simple logs. Do those. Come back and the end to the hefty word problems

WIth that being said, scroll through every easy math problem. There's quite a bit of easy plug and chug or simple algebra/ simple logs. Do those. Come back and the end to the hefty word problems
Okay!! Thank you! Did you just take it today? Also, do you remember how many passages in bio and chem section? Is it like pearson practice test where there are 5 passages in each section (bio and chem)?

Okay!! Thank you! Did you just take it today? Also, do you remember how many passages in bio and chem section? Is it like pearson practice test where there are 5 passages in each section (bio and chem)?
Yup 8 am today! Bio and chem had about 4-5 passages, about 20 questions stemming from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup 8 am today! Bio and chem had about 4-5 passages, about 20 questions stemming from them.
Congratulations!! You are done with this nightmare! lol Was there a lot of diseases in the biology section? Do you think the difficulty is similar to Dr. Collins? Or similar to pearson?

Congratulations!! You are done with this nightmare! lol Was there a lot of diseases in the biology section? Do you think the difficulty is similar to Dr. Collins? Or similar to pearson?
Collins is strange because it only has one passage per test. The stand alones really are that easy. The passages are a bit harder . Pearson passages are spot on

Gotcha! I took pearson test 7 yesterday and the chem and bio passages are horrible. I had to guess on a lot of them. I hope the passages are mostly common sense :( Did you also say the writing is not too bad? I was afraid they gonna have me write solutions to a diffucult problem lol

Gotcha! I took pearson test 7 yesterday and the chem and bio passages are horrible. I had to guess on a lot of them. I hope the passages are mostly common sense :( Did you also say the writing is not too bad? I was afraid they gonna have me write solutions to a diffucult problem lol
Writing was the easiest part, no worries!

I was just wondering. For the stand alone questions for bio/chem are they straight forward questions or do they incorporate some extra knowledge about the question?
The standalones were one step solutions that didn't require you to problem solve

Heyy,

So i am taking the PCAT tomorrow for the first time and i haven't taken orgo or calc. I have been using the Collins study guide and everything but I am feel really nervous. I tried to do the pearson exam today but i took literally a major L on that... Can anyone tell me if the pearson is similar to the test or am I good with the Collins?

Heyy,

So i am taking the PCAT tomorrow for the first time and i haven't taken orgo or calc. I have been using the Collins study guide and everything but I am feel really nervous. I tried to do the pearson exam today but i took literally a major L on that... Can anyone tell me if the pearson is similar to the test or am I good with the Collins?
The good thing is that the PCAT is not calculus heavy. If I recall, the blueprint says 14%? In my test it was honestly not even that much. Most of it was algebra.

As far as orgo, memorize the basic reactions outlined by Collins. That will get you enough info to get the orgo questions right

The good thing is that the PCAT is not calculus heavy. If I recall, the blueprint says 14%? In my test it was honestly not even that much. Most of it was algebra.

As far as orgo, memorize the basic reactions outlined by Collins. That will get you enough info to get the orgo questions right
How about the biology section? i looked at the pearson and its very different compared to the Collins?

Hello, what were the changes made to this year's PCAT? Someone i know studied last year's Dr. Collin's and they did not do so well. any suggestions as of what to use and how to prepare for it for next time?? Thank you in advance

Hello, what were the changes made to this year's PCAT? Someone i know studied last year's Dr. Collin's and they did not do so well. any suggestions as of what to use and how to prepare for it for next time?? Thank you in advance
I used 2016 dr Collins and it had more than enough info