ttran01

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i got my two wisdom teeth extracted today and it hurts :mad: it's hard opening my mouth...and im also hungry and getting a headache b/c of it :mad: :thumbdown:

CorneliusFudge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
Status
ttran01 said:
i got my two wisdom teeth extracted today and it hurts :mad: it's hard opening my mouth...and im also hungry and getting a headache b/c of it :mad: :thumbdown:
Well, considering you had some guy cutting your gums away from your jawbone and drilling a fairly sizable hole into your mandible this morning; I think you're in remarkably good shape. :D

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
ttran01 said:

My oldest son had four wisdom teeth out on Wednesday. I got to watch. Both lowers were bears. The right one had a severely curved mesial root and the left one was horizontally impacted. When the anesthesia wore off he too was in severe pain. Three days later, he's still eating only soft foods. Percoset does help according to him. So does jello and ice, especially the first two days. Feel better soon.

About the Ads

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
Just fill that prescription they gave you and it'll be all better...

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
I had all four of my wisdom tooth taken out two months ago. Only one was impacted. I had no pain at all on the upper ones but the lower ones did hurt for two days. After two days I was eating pretty much everything and stopped pain medications then. As the dentist put it, mine were real easy and it still took me two days of pain.

OP
T

ttran01

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
okay so now im feeling a lot better now :) after finally eating something my head and stomach doesnt hurt as much. the medication worked pretty good. but since i took it on an empty stomach...later on...i kept on wanting to vomit but nothing would come out....gross feeling....i was bleeding for a LONG time today...the surgeon never told me that i couldnt lay down.....then couple hours ago my sister came home and told me not to lay down thats why i kept on bleeding.......by the way....i was awake during the whole procedure......were you guys awake??

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
ttran01 said:
okay so now im feeling a lot better now :) after finally eating something my head and stomach doesnt hurt as much. the medication worked pretty good. but since i took it on an empty stomach...later on...i kept on wanting to vomit but nothing would come out....gross feeling....i was bleeding for a LONG time today...the surgeon never told me that i couldnt lay down.....then couple hours ago my sister came home and told me not to lay down thats why i kept on bleeding.......by the way....i was awake during the whole procedure......were you guys awake??

My son did have general, but he was never completely asleep during the procedure. He could respond verbally to the oral surgeon. He did try to eat some jello and some soup, a small amount, before taking the percoset, but the first one made him nauseous too. He also wept a lot also from the lower extraction sites the first day, and even had a little weeping the next day. The first two days are pretty tough. Ice really does help the first two days. I have a beany bag neck pillow I keep in the freezer. When I put it, gently, under his chin and up each side of his jaw the first night he said, "That feels nice." You'll feel better in a couple of days, in the meantime take your meds with food, just stick to jello, yogurt, soup and macaroni and cheese, noodles cooked real soft. He tried rice yesterday, still too chewy. Hope today is a better day for you. Treat yourself gently.

cusp of carabelli

D.M.D.
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
new york, new york
Visit site
Status
ttran01 said:
so are you sleeping standing up now or something? i've never heard of laying down causing more bleeding in extraction sites. Anyways...if it is you might wanna bit on damp tea bags...the tannins in the tea are supposed to help with stopping bleeding..when is your post-op follow up?

OP
T

ttran01

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
cusp of carabelli said:
so are you sleeping standing up now or something? i've never heard of laying down causing more bleeding in extraction sites. Anyways...if it is you might wanna bit on damp tea bags...the tannins in the tea are supposed to help with stopping bleeding..when is your post-op follow up?
the weird thing is that when i asked the oral surgeon if i needed to make a follow -up appointment he said i didnt need to and just call in if im still in pain...is everybody suppoed to have a post-op follow up? by the way...im assuming that the stitches he used were the absorbing one since he told me i didnt have to come back for another appt. :confused: :confused:

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
ttran01 said:
the weird thing is that when i asked the oral surgeon if i needed to make a follow -up appointment he said i didnt need to and just call in if im still in pain...is everybody suppoed to have a post-op follow up? by the way...im assuming that the stitches he used were the absorbing one since he told me i didnt have to come back for another appt. :confused: :confused:
Call your oral surgeon Monday AM just to confirm your need or not of a post op visit.

djktennis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
ttran01 said:

I'd recommend a cigarette...it'll help with the pain.

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
djktennis said:
Yeah, try some alcohol and cocaine too.

Just kidding.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
djktennis said:
Just as an FYI, if the OP followed this advice, and sued you for giving bad medical advice, s/he could probably find a lawyer to take the case. ;) Crazier lawsuits have been won...but regardless of that, this isn't the place to be giving joke post-op instructions.

itsall3324453!

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
Austin, Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
ttran01 said:
I am a pre dental student and an acupuncturist. When i had my wisdom teeth out i went to a friend who let me do acupouncture on myself. He did a local and that was it. I had no pain swelling or bleeding after the procedure. did not even need an advil and was eating fine later that night. I have treated post op pain from wisdom tooth extraction successfully so you or anyone else may concider acupuncture. :D

OP
T

ttran01

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
cusp of carabelli said:

i guess right after the extractions you shouldnt lay down with the head flat because there will be more bleeding...according to what my sister's oral surgeon told her (she had a different one than me)...and i layed down right after i had mine pulled out and i kept on bleeding for like 6 hrs or so until my sister came home and told her i kept on bleeding. so she told me to make sure that my head is in an upward postion...so i did it and worked a lot....i stopped bleeding.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
cusp of carabelli said:
Standing up makes the circulation fight against gravity. It's the same idea as raising your arm overhead after you give blood to help stop bleeding at the IV site.

Trench Mouth

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, about a week ago I was on the receiving end of a stray golf ball at a course nearby. It turns out it wasn't even a ball that someone had hit, but that a big guy had thrown wildly because he was angry at how bad he was playing. It hit me square in the temple, not knocking me off my feet, but eliciting a good solid "what the $#%?" For the next week, my temporalis was bruised and I could hardly open my mouth to eat.

About the Ads