just wondering.....help appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyephan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to hear some feedback as I have just discovered this great website.

I spent my first two years at Ohio State University and did not focus AT ALL. I partied alot, and developed some terrible habits. My cum gpa there after 2 years was a 2.6 gpa :eek:

Then, I moved back to my home (near akron) and transfered to University of Akron. I went through rehab and joined a 12-step fellowship (I have been clean for almost 5 months now). Also, my grades have skyrocketed and I anticipate between 3.5 and 4.0 gpa for the next two years. I am going to take MCAT soon and I will have a year in between graduation and start of med school, when I will probably get a masters. I have just started ECs but I am going at them hard, with research, shadowing, volunteering, and tutoring at school.

I think I will be able to rock the MCATs because of my standardized testing abilities (1530 sat) plus I will be studying my ass off. Anyways, just wanted some input if anyone feels like it. Thanks alot!

sincerely,

born-again pre-med

Members don't see this ad.

Good for you!

Keep at it my friend, its wonderful to see that you've got your head straight and have some priorties now. Your story of struggle and overcoming your bad habits will make for an interesting PS.

Kudos

P.S. enlarge your text size next time, haha.

Agree with the above - very happy to see someone overcoming addiction to spend his/her life in service to others. If nothing else, I guarantee you your experiences, though I'm sure you'd rather they'd never happened (and I wish that for you too) will allow you to write an amazing personal statement, give you something incredible to speak to during interviews, and help you better to relate to patients in the future.

That said, two years of a 2.6 are going to drag you down. Be prepared for med schools (or anyone, for that matter) to be skeptical of your recent successes and/or your ability to stay clean. However, do NOT let that dissuade you - keep strong and keep fighting for what you want. Always remember: If you can beat addiction, there are few things that can still stand in your way. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree with the post above, def use that story for your PS. Deep down inside I think medical schools love students who have turned their lives around some way and demonstrate this maturity and growth. Plus being in rehab, you can really explain how that made you want to be a doctor....with a 34+ I think you would have a really good shot. Upward trend is also a HUGE positive

Awesome job! Congrats and keep it up. Just a word of advice- study your ***** off for the MCAT- I has a 1480 SAT (800 math 680 verbal) and only a 27 MCAT- it, unfortunately, tests more knowledge than natural aptitude- unlike the SAT. I am sure you will do well.